Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txgardener721

Can anyone tell me about these bug eggs

TxGardener721
9 years ago

I noticed these eggs on the stem of my bottle gourd plant. Can anyone tell what are these eggs and how to eliminate them

Comments (11)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, I can safely say that to eliminate the eggs, rub a paper towel across the stem.
    As far as eliminating the insects that laid them, options vary between organic methods and chemicals.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Are they hurting anything? Doing any damage? If not why worry about them? They may be very beneficial insects.

But yeah if they bother you for some reason then just wipe them off the stem. No need to bring out any big guns.

Dave

• PeaRodz
    9 years ago

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone is familiar with these types of spots/marks on lettuce leaves. I'm growing Queensland Lettuce, and it's been raining a lot in muggy Miami. I'm very familiar with leafminers, but these don't look like trails...they're more like little splotches, yellow or light green in appearance. It's extremely consistent, on all my lettuce and even arugula. I can't seem to figure out if it's insect or fungus related. More importantly, are my leaves still edible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Aside from this, the leaves seem happy and are growing nicely.

Thanks,
    P

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Not eggs - they're scale.

Al

• TxGardener721
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes they are hurting I think. when these become adults, poking my gourds and egg plant. some leaves turning into brown and dying.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

That looks more like fruit abortion in the pic from lack of sufficient pollination. Al ID it as scale and is right on I think but again is only a problem if there is a serious infestation. Scale insects can be rubbed off or dabbed with rubbing alcohol.

Dave

PeaRodz - your is a totally different issue. The pic is over exposed but it looks like powdery mildew if white, Downey Mildew if yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scale Insect Control

• PeaRodz
    9 years ago

@Digdirt, thanks for the response. Yeah, it must be the picture...it's definitely not mildew, and it doesn't come off. It's almost like a discoloration. It might've just photographed that way. It's kind of a tricky trait to capture in a photo. In any case, I did some more research and it's either sun stress or Thrip damage. By the way, sorry I posted on this thread....It's my first time posting and I somehow ended up posting to someone's else thread. Thanks!! P

• ange2006
    9 years ago

I had something similar about 2 weeks ago. A little after I took the photo, my garden was covered with pigweed flea beetles. At that time I just assumed that those were pigweed flea beetle eggs. Anyone has any idea?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Looks like eggs to me...one of the squash bug species. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Okay...I found a web site with a good image; be sure to click on the picture to enlarge it for comparison.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lookee here

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

TxGardener, did you look at the images of the eggs to compare with what you have?

• Christian
    9 years ago

They look like squash bug (stink-bug) eggs to me. Pick them off and crush them against a piece of wood or something else hard.