Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus growing in garden bed- hugelkulture

Posted by jenottawa none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 17:31

Hello,
I was inspired from some readings this spring and decided to try my hand at a modified version of Hugelkulture (Hugel Culture). I dug 2 foot trenches and buried 3 year dried/rotting maple logs under my gardens. I lined the logs with a bucketful of mushy veggies from my composter, some leaves and a little straw and buried the mess with mushroom compost and 2 year composted horse manure mixed both with peat moss, approx 1 foot deep at least. I also made this part of the garden raised using additional maple logs to hold the soil in.
Everything looks amazing growth wise! This week I started to get some mould / fungus on my beds and within days it is taking over my lettuce, spinach and soon arugula.
1. Any advice for salvaging the other plants?
2. Is this dangerous, I do plan to wash my plants before eating... Two toddlers frequently play in my garden (not in the bed, but beside it)
3. From what I have read fungus is what makes Hugel Culture work so well... Does anyone else have experience with this? There are all sorts of interesting fungi growing on other maple logs that I used to make these beds raised as well. To me these seemed normal and I realized my raised beds would not last too long as the maple would breakdown.
4. Can I put the fungus in my composter??
Thank you so much!!!! I am still a rookie gardener so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by jenottawa on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 17:33

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus growing in garden bed- hugelkulture

Here is a second photo.
Thanks again!

o

Interesting. I use a lot of rotted woody stuff in my garden and see an endless array of fruiting fungi. Their mycelium contribute nutrients and organic matter, so I generally regard them as good. Personally I would not eat the plant parts in direct contact with the fungi, but I have often harvested excellent produce from veggies that had inedible mushrooms growing at their feet.

In one situation when there were too many chunks of mycelium for my taste, I pulled them up and threw them in the compost. Like a novel kind of cover crop.

o

Looks like slime mold to me. I haven't known it to be harmful or anything. Even plants that get partly encased it in are fine, it eventually just washes away. I haven't tried eating anything that's came into contact with it though.

o

Normally fungus isn't a bad sign per se, except that it might be too wet or cloudy. I had several varieties of fungi fruit in my raised beds (from various composts and mulches, I think) but I scraped off the ugly ones, and the others died back when it got regularly hot and dry.

o

Since multiple forms of fungus growth are standard with most active compost piles - and considered beneficial - I would assume the same would be true for a hugel. That's basically all it is - a big active compost pile.

Dave

o

Yes, it's a slime mold. But the name is very misleading because these unique organisms are not molds nor are they fungi. As a matter of fact, they aren't even related to molds or mushrooms.

Not harmful in any way to you or your plants and they are not toxic.

o

yes that can happen, it doesn't seem to cause any issues, like mushrooms it is living off rotting material in the soils.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here