Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What veggies can I grow in the fall in zone 6?

Posted by Naturalchick27 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 17:41

I plan on building 1 or 2 raised beds at the end of summer. What veggies can I plant? I have lettuce, salad greens and spinach seeds. I would like to grow onions and broccoli as well if it isn't too late

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What veggies can I grow in the fall in zone 6?

For fall, I go with radishes, kholrabi, carrots, and peas. However, outside of the radishes, which only take a few weeks, you may want to get rolling on the beds right now. For what it's worth, I am in zone 4/5, kind of right on the border, so I err on the low side at 4. I plan to sow my sugar snap peas and kholrabi in mid to late August, and radishes will be successively planted starting in late August up until it gets too cold, which can sometimes be as late as November. I dunno what "end of summer" constitutes for you, but technically speaking, that'd be the fall equinox in September, which is pretty late.

Joe

o

In addition to the lettuces and spinach, winter onion plants if you start the seeds now. Try a short day variety like Granex. Broccoli again if you start the seeds now so the plants will be ready to set out as soon as the beds are made. Brussel sprouts and beets too.

Dave

o

Zone 6 here--you can plant winter lettuces as late early September, and spinach a little after that. But that's pretty much all. Other fall and winter crops must be started now or soon--beets, carrots, collards and kale now; turnips, Asian radishes and escaroles in early August. Savoy cabbages will go in next week, but they were started in flats in June.

o

Thnks for the suggestions! I went ahead and threw a few spinach seeds in pots few days ago and they are already sprouting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here