Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lettuce Pushing out of Soil?

Posted by werick_111 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 17:42

I've attached a picture of what my Romaine Lettuce looks like now.

I've started them out in a seedling tray, and then moved them to a long window sill type of pot. Even in the seedling tray, I noticed they looked like they would sort of push out of the potting mix. And they're doing it again here.

Is this sort of thing normal? Am I looking at lettuce plants that just won't grow well, or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lettuce Pushing out of Soil?

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 17:45

They needed more light..that's all I see.

Perhaps the growth was also during too warm temperatures..lettuce is a cold season crop.

o

They're pretty stemmy. I think it's too hot for them.

o

Yes, it looks as if they have been too warm and possibly too dark. Are they indoors? They appear to be bolting already. I'd cut my losses and eat them now.

o

What is that potting mix made of?

o

These are actually outdoors. I have them set up out on the lanai. Temperatures here have been ranging between upper 70's to lower-mid 80's. Attached is a pic of what it looks like early in the morning. Much more sun will hit it during the mid day. If that's still too warm for lettuce to grow, can anything be done to compensate for the heat?

I've used Miraclegro seed starting mix in the seedling tray, and Organic Choice Potting Mix for this larger pot.

o

They look ok to me, maybe a little crowded if you want full heads. Keep them well watered and fed and give them lots of sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here