Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
city_garden81

Something is eating my summer squash blossoms (picture)

city_garden81
12 years ago

Something is eating my squash blossoms and I've spent hours scouring internet forums and gardening books, etc. I even consulted my parents who run a rather large CSA Farm..

At first I thought it was Squash Bugs.. Then I saw a cucumber beetle! But after hours and searching plants during the day, night, afternoon, morning, etc.. I wasn't able to find any other bugs!

Then today I get home from work and discover 3 new blossoms that were eaten. As I walked to the garden I saw some birds fly away. I know birds eat the bugs generally and not the plant BUT judging by the picture it looks like the blossoms are sheared away at parts by a beak or something OTHER than a bug. Also the damage to me doesn't look like cucumber beetle or squash bug? It also doesn't look like a squirrel.

The things I were thinking was 1. rats or mice? 2. birds 3. maybe bugs?

The squash are running up a trellis attached to my privacy fence. I have 1 zuccini that sits at ground level (not trellised) and 4 patty pan squash that are all trellised.

Hoping someone sees this picture and might have an idea or a clue...

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/xxxassasin/?action=view&current=squash003.jpg

Comments (8)