Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Lanceolata Kale - How should it taste?

We tried Lanceolata Kale this year and so far, not really liking it. We normally juice our Kale in a juicer with other vegetables, and other varieties we are growing taste fairly sweet in the blend. When we added the Lanceolata, it was bitter. So, I'm not sure if that's the way it's supposed to taste? If anyone else grows it, do you have certain recipes that it works well in?

Comments (11)

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Never encountered a kale named Lanceolata. Are you sure it is a kale?

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Do you mean Lacinato Kale (aka dinosaur kale, tuscan kale)? It shouldn't be bitter, but any kale will be this time of year since kale is more of a cool weather veg. Best if there's a bit of frost, even. This isn't kale season right now most places.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, that was how it was listed on the search engine I looked for the spelling on. I've heard it called Dinosaur Kale too. Lacinato is another name I see referred to.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I realize it's not a good time of year for kale, but the other Kales growing in the same bed and planted at the same time are not bitter. That's why I wondered.

I am planning on growing more Kale for the cool weather but not sure I want to try this Dinosaur Kale again. Wondering if anyone enjoys it and has any recipes for using it?

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Personally, it's my favorite kale, not bitter at all. Are you sure you're picking the leaves small enough?

• glib
    9 years ago

Lacinato will not be bitter after frost. It does have much more of a flavor than regular kale. One comes from the Mediterranean, the other from Scotland. That is why lacinato is much the better kale for soups.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These Kale plants weren't planted until May. If I left the Dinosaur Kale plants to continue to grow, but cut off most of the leaves after the temperatures cool down, would the plants grow back new foliage that would be fresh and not bitter? Or would I be better off, starting over and Direct Sowing into the Garden bed?

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Even here in the far north, dinosaur kale is pretty gross-tasting in the summer. I plant it early in a tunnel so that there are two picking periods - May 1 to June 15, and then September 15 to November 1. Yes, it tastes great after frost. You don't have to cut the leaves away except for the ones that look old or beaten up by the weather. No need to start over, although you certainly can seed extra kale now if you have the space.

Red Russian is a little less nasty in the summer but still nothing that I would describe as delicious.

If the kale is only a little bitter, simply cooking it will cut down on the bitterness. Good complements to mask bitterness are white wine, lemon juice and ripe tomatoes.

This post was edited by Slimy_Okra on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 21:07

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okra, do you mean if I leave the plants that now have bitter leaves that in the Fall after a frost or two, they will sweeten up?

I thought about adding it to soup, would that take care of it too?

Thanks for the help!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

The leaves will sweeten after frost, no need to remove them.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, thanks Sunnibel!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living