Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
at2013_gw

Is it too late for sumter cucumbers?

AT2013
9 years ago

Hi all.

Is it too late to start Sumter cukes from seed here in SoCal? I bought some Park seed packets yesterday and one of them is cucumbers of this variety.

Comments (5)

• Bloomin_Onion
    9 years ago

Southern California stays pretty nice year round, doesn't it? I'd say if your growing season lasts until the end of October maybe, then that's 4 months of growing. Plants come to mature in around 2.5 months. So I guess it depends on how many cucumbers you want, and how long your growing season is before the first frost, if you get a frost at all! But I'm new here and no expert! :)

• mav72
    9 years ago

I started some white cukes 4 days ago... I figured, since they came up so fast in early spring, I would start some for a fall harvest. My seeds have already sprouted. It doesn't really get cold in southern cali until like what, late October?

This post was edited by mav72 on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 4:14

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

It all depends on the temperature and weather, I planted mine here in PA about 7 weeks ago and I'm now getting cucumbers but the weather and temps have been great this year.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Not a problem.

Totally funny. I'm going to start some Sumters next week myself.

You may want to try to keep the soil cool when Sept/Oct(Santa Anas) roll around though. (Mulch, shade cloth) You'll get production but just not as much if you had started earlier. November and December cool nights will slow things down.

Kevin

• AT2013
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see. I guess I'll start 3-4 plants since I just want to keep them for eating or pickling.