Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cucumber beatles

Posted by ChicagoDeli37 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 17:59

Please tell me this isn't the cucumber beatles destruction????
Looks worse in person this seems to be happening
To a lot of leaves on one plant

Behind view

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cucumber beatles

Beetles eat holes in leaves. No holes I can see in the pictures. What I do see is some sun scalded, heat damaged leaves.

Dave

o

Just noticed a lot more leaves doing it...and curling up....
Could of swore I read on here before that
There is a Beatle that lays eggs inside stem and
kills them this way. ..hope your right about
Just some sun damage ..it has been extremely hot here.

o

You're thinking of squash borers, I believe, the larvae of a moth, and they aren't likely to get cucumbers. I'm seeing a lot of sunburn in my garden with this heat wave. Shade and water are the best you can do.

o

You mean Vine Borer? I have no idea what the damage they do looks like, but I've been doing a lot of lurking on these forums and it's a name that keeps coming up, but they don't lay eggs inside the stem (that I know of anyways) they lay eggs, then the eggs hatch and the caterpillars bore into the stalk and eventually kill the leaf. It's a moth though, not a beetle.

o

Have you looked at the underside....looks a little like spider mites and the curling of leaves goes with that.

o

I agree with dig and ltilton, looks like some sunburn. With the extreme heat, it's not unusual, keep them watered well, and they should bounce back when the temps get back to normal. The damaged leaves won't recover, but you can leave them on until they are dead, then just trim them off.

Like ltilton said, if you can create some shade that will help some. Squash vine borers attack the stems of the plant and usually don't attack cukes because their stems are solid. The only other thing to look out for as someone mentioned above would be spider mites. You won't see them because the are super small, but if you have a bad infestation you would see silk like webbing amongst the stems of the plants. If you take a plain piece of white paper and hold it flat under the leaves, then give the leaves a good shake, some would fall on to the paper. Then either focus on the paper and if you see tiny moving dots, that's them...or smear your thumb across the paper and you will see trails of their squished guts as streaks on the paper.

More than likely it is the heat though, and all will be fine as the temps come down.

o

Thanks im going to keep a eye on them
Closely. And check for pests.
@howelbama what's up with my better bush
tomatoes??
Some are split and the skins are pretty tough.

o

Most likely the heat as well. Some tomatoes have thick skins naturally, don't think I've ever grown better bush so I'm not sure if that is normal for them. Odds are its just due to the high temps though.

o

Thick skins seem to be a reaction to water shortage. Then, when the fruit grows, the skin splits.

o

Better pic of cukes..
Any other opinions ???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here