Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimhilgeman

Zucchini Problems and Pictures

kimhilgeman
12 years ago

I have what seems like some sort of end-rot on my zucchinis. They have been growing very well so far, and just started flowering and producing fruits. The plants are huge, 30-36 inches tall, with 12-16 inch leaves, and they started from seeds direct in the ground.

The leaves have some tiangular-ish grey areas on them. I initailly started treating these for powdery mildew 6 days ago with 10% milk/H2O solution, sprayed every 3 days.

Here is a picture of one of the worst leaves:

{{gwi:92554}}

The fruits seem soft at the end, and have some odd 'bends' in them, not bad, just a little unusual.

{{gwi:92555}}

{{gwi:92556}}

I have inspected for bugs, and haven't found anything. I have tested the soil pH, it is at 6.95. I have been fertilizing once per month at the recommended rate with Jobe's Organic 2-7-4 fertilizer, and a good dose of compost at the beginning of the season.

Any advice? I have kept things organic so far and am desperate enough to go non-organic if it means I can save the plants.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (21)

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

That silvery dapple on the leaves, I was told was normal for zucchini as the leaves mature. All mine have it and are producing well. The "grey" isn't actually powdery, is it, just smooth? If it's smooth, don't worry; it's not mildew.

Carol

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

Relax, Breathe....Ahhhhh That's better ;-)
    Everything is perfectly fine, totally normal and time will take care of the small issues
    (and they are all small issues ;-)

PS... Leave the poor little guys alone, you may kill them ,with what you perceive as kindness ! !

{{gwi:65926}}

{{gwi:65925}}

{{gwi:80073}}

{{gwi:77743}}

• kimhilgeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

how about the funny bulbous, bent fruits, is that a hydration issue?

The end of the zucchini, nearest the flower is a bit spongy feeling too.

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

It's normal, there is almost always some "weirdness" until the plant gets on a roll, then watch out, soon you will have Zucchini "fit for a King"
    PS... You can cut off and compost the ugly ones , and the new ones will continue coming, or you can eat the good parts of the ugly ones.

{{gwi:28488}}

{{gwi:36631}}

{{gwi:15174}}

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

WOW jon! Thats an amazing harvest!
    Such variety too.
    Puts my garden to shame.
    Thanks for sharing :)

• ladybugsmom192
    12 years ago

Yes Kim this is all absolutely normal. But I do understand and know how you feel. I went through the same thing when I started. Be patient my friend.

• noinwi
    12 years ago

Kimhilgeman, if you don't mind my asking, what's the name of the zucchini you have in the photo? They look great! I prefer the leaves on those plants to the ones with rounder softer leaves as the deer are less likely to munch on them(and I like the way the silver mottling looks). I went with the latter type last year and the deer did a lot of damage making the plant look terrible(although it did produce fruit). I do container gardening in the front yard as I'm in an apartment and have to make everything look nice and tidy so as not to tick off management. I planted 3 types of seed this year hoping to get the cut leaves, but the plants are still pretty small.

• JerryStone
    10 years ago

Hi folks. I've been trying to fix this problem with my zucchini but not having any luck. This is the first time I've tried growing them and I am also growing cucumbers and squash. To keep ants/bugs out of these other veggies I dusted with "Seven" Dust and thought it might help the zucchini. Did I cause this problem?
    Jerry

• JerryStone
    10 years ago

Hi folks. I've been trying to fix this problem with my zucchini but not having any luck. This is the first time I've tried growing them and I am also growing cucumbers and squash. To keep ants/bugs out of these other veggies I dusted with "Seven" Dust and thought it might help the zucchini. Did I cause this problem?
    Jerry

{{!gwi}}

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

The grey areas on the leaves are totally normal, it's called silvering and is perfectly fine for the zucchini, the fruits look normal too. Nothing is wrong with your plant.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

LOL.. When I saw the pic, I just said "beautiful plant! What's wrong?"

Mushy or deformed fruit is totally normal. Just cut them and compost them. Like jonhughes said, wait a while -- you'll have them coming out of your ears.

JerryStone: same for you. cut any bad ones. Sevin is pretty harsh stuff. From what I've learned, you want to identify the pest 1st and then treat with as "target specific" cure as possible.. Sevin is very broad spectrum -- you're killing off the good guys using it.

Kevin

• ltilton
    10 years ago

JerryStone - that looks like failure to pollinate. Very common, particularly in younger plants. And where people have killed the bees by using Sevin.

• galiana
    10 years ago

I'm finding that a lot of newer gardeners are falling into this trap -- thinking that every bug needs killed and every disease needs sprayed. (Come to think, I was the same way when I started out. I still have minor freak-outs sometimes.)

Obviously it's never a bad thing to ask when you see something unusual, because that's how you learn. But it might be a better thing to ask *before* trying random remedies, until you learn.

Also I'm not sure I'd eat veggies that have been dusted with Sevin, but that's just me.

• robertlovesmaters
    10 years ago

looks like end rot.. which happens.. just cut em off and carry on.. I seem to remember an article pointing to a calcium deficiency causing it .. maybe that was just for tomatoes.. lol.. just don't kill them with love..

• biddlebeach
    10 years ago

For the past 2 years now, we have had problems with our zucchinis flowering and rotting, only getting to be about 3 inches long,, never getting a mature fruit. we planted them in a new spot this year, hoping it may just have been a "new garden" last year, but having the same issue this year, the plants are beautiful, leaves are large. bunnies are eating some of the leaves, too. Any ideas?

• elffriend
    10 years ago

It sounds like they are not getting pollinated. You can hand pollinate using a small paint brush.

• biddlebeach
    10 years ago

I had continued to read here, and did the male flower trick, hope it helps:)

• tchelen
    9 years ago

Yep, normal leaf mottling. However I just read that the blossom end rot on the fruit was caused by a calcium deficiency. Here is the article:
    http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/squash-blossom-end-rot-causes-and-treatment.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash rotting on end

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Old topic but subject always new.

Silvery mottling are common and normal. But it wont hurt to systematically spray cucurbita to prevent mildew, especially Powdery Mildew. There are both home made and brands sold at the stores. From home made I like 50/50 milk/water. From store brands I prefer Neem Oil spray. I, do a first round on my squash and cukes just tomorrow. I'd be sorry all the way to the bank if I did not do it and got PM.

• Hadas Fruchtman
    6 years ago

hi guys

Im having problems with my Zucchini plant.. I planted it about a month ago and it's growing very small and yellow.. what an I doing wrong??

On the second photo the right plant and the left small ugly one we're planted at the same time!!

I don't know why that happened

Can someone please help me??

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Duplicate question. I responded on your other thread.