Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Potatoes in Louisiana?

Posted by jeanne123_2008 8 LA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 18:03

Any info on growing potatoes in Louisiana would be greatly appreciated. I have had very poor results so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Potatoes in Louisiana?

Sweet potatoes are a nuatural in Louisianna. Depending on your area, Irish potatoes should do ok planted in January - February They have to do their growing before hot weather. Other than that, they are pretty easy. I jsut plant in the ground and throw dirt to them (hill/list) but if you browse these threads you will find a 101 ways to grow them.

o

So tell us more. How have you planted them and what varieties have you planted? Are you trenching or raised hills....what's the soil like?

o

I grew Irish potatoes this spring. Problem is, growers don't ship till mid to late March! Mine flourished, attracting flea beetles and Colorado potato beetles in swarms. After laboriously squishing dozens of slimy larvae for weeks, a heat wave hit in the first week of June and killed the plants before the tubers grew large enough to eat any. I will be using them for seed potatoes this fall, as some of them are the same size as the mini-tubers I received from the grower. Anyone have experience growing fall potatoes in the south?

o

Gee I get my seed potatoes locally in January or February at local nurseries or feed stores. They usually have LaSoda or Kennebec but I would go with whatever I found locally. I wouldn't hope for large potatoes but I would think you could get some good sized new potatoes.

Now, I planted late this year......April and still got some potatoes even though I didn't do enough hilling either. I was testing to see if kids could grow them if they only got to visit once a week. It wasn't the best but it proved even with minimal work you can get some potatoes.

o

• Posted by grandad 9a Louisiana/Sunt28 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 13:56

This year was the first year in quite a while that I planted Irish potatoes. However, having planted too much sweet corn last year, I decided to plant less and fill in the available space with a row of potatoes. Shown below are Red Lasota which were set in mid February and harvested in June. They did quite well and I plan to repeat next year. I also intend to plant a row of the small potatoes collected in June as a Fall crop. Recommended planting date is August 15 through September 10.

Photobucket

o

I planted just pieces of potato sections with sprouted eyes of Idahoes from the store, and sprouted eyes of red potatoes as well. I did not realize that heat was a no-no for them. I think I will wait for the fall to try again as the ones in the ground in July are really struggling as compared to the spring growth. Thanks for all your suggestions!

o

Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 16:27

Jeanne, your method was correct. I should have elaborated on my above post. My wife's step grandfather many many years ago followed the practice of cutting potatoes into chunks with eyes and planting these in the spring. The cut chuncks were dusted with a coating of lime and set aside for a short wile to help them heal over before planting. Some smaller potatoes harvested from the spring crop were saved and then planted whole as a fall crop. So this is the method that I have followed.

o
RE: Growing Potatoes in Louisiana2?

Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 16:34

Planting for a mid-July harvest in Louisiana is might be a bit too warm for the potatoes. So I guess they are sort of "struggling". You did not say what type of store you purchased the potatoes from, so I should also note that potatoes purchased from the grocery store are sometimes treated with a growth inhibitor and these sometimes wouldn't do so well when planted in the garden.

o

Jeanne123, I planted seed potatoes purchased at the local feed and seed in Feb.-they did very well. Our local paper's garden guy says we can plant them in August for a fall harvest as well and I ordered seed potaoes from Ronniger potato farm to do just that (no seed potatoes available locally this time of year).

Since we are both Zone 8, I figured this might be helpful to you as well. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plain Garden Planting Cycle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here