Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daryljurassic

Emerald Globe Artichoke

daryljurassic
15 years ago

How do I tell if my artichokes are ripe?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:92561}}

Comments (5)

• therealtrooper
    15 years ago

well that one is on its way to blooming...they are eating before they ripen all the way...they do make a beautiful flower if you let them.

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thats what I was thinking...Luckily the rest are not so mature. First time growing these. The seed packet said 180-360 days. I'm about 180 days at this point. I guess I'll let that one flower and keep a closer eye on the rest. If anyone has any suggestions on how to prepare them, let me know...

• kris
    15 years ago

I love artichokes:

Place them in any steaming apparatus or a pot with water and boil/steam for about an hour or until the leaves pull off easily and the flesh tastes tender. Then dip the leaves in butter and enjoy.

Stuffed artichokes.

For a few artichokes, chop the stem off so the base is flat, peal the stem like you would peal broccoli stems to get the stringy tough stuff off. Toss the stems in a food processor with a couple cloves of garlic, and a good handful of parsley (you can add more or less parsley to stretch the stuffing), salt and pepper and mince everything up, add some olive oil to make everything come together..kinda like making pesto. Then hold the base of the artichoke and bang the top against the countertop. Hit is good and hard a couple times, and the flower will open up some. Then stuff the stuffing inside the flower (usually a couple tablespoons or so per artichoke) Place the artichokes in a steamer/pan to boil/steam. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and boil/steam. These you can eat plain or with melted butter as above.

Happy eating,

Kristi

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thx Kristi. I'm familar with the hearts of course, but wasn't sure how to prepare/eat... the leaves. I have one ready to pick so I will try the steam/butter recipe tonight. I have a total of seven plants. Not sure how many to expect per plant. Some are just starting to form but there is one plant that has three and another that has four out at this point - at different stages. Shouldn't be long though.

• Rodolph
    9 years ago

We in the Middle East prepare the artichoke differently. We use several methods for that but in most of them, we dip them when stewed in a mixture of mashed garlic, salt, lemon juice and olive oil. Then we peel off the leafs and eat the lower portion. The heart is then eaten seperately after removing the flower hairs.
    We also chop the heart then clean the flower, and do the heart as salad after stewing or even green.
    We also use the green heart and fill it With the French Gratin recipe.