Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Bug ID-- On Goldy Double Sunflower in SW PA

Posted by yutopia 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 18:07

Longtime lurker, but this is my first post.

I noticed about 25-30 bugs on several of my sunflowers about a week ago. They are not on nearby squash, cukes, tomatos, beans, or herbs, and I have been checking closely.

Thanks for taking a look and please let me know what you think! My photo isn't perfect, but I'm hoping the image below will allow for a positive ID. They are somewhat ominous-looking and have been accompanied by moderate leaf damage to the sunfowers (although that could also have been the leaf hoppers that are prevalent throughout my garden).

Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Bug ID-- On Goldy Double Sunflower in SW PA

Here is a second photo:

o

Young stinkbugs, most likely the brown marmorated stinkbug, Halyomorpha halys.

I suggest you react NOW!
Squish or drown in soapy water all you can find.

Last year, those guys did serious damage to numerous agricultural crops and home gardens. They feed on just about everything, including tree bark. And will damage corn kernels by piercing the husks!

o
RE: Need Bug ID-- On Goldy Double Sunflower in SW PA-

Meant to also suggest -- Inspect often, perhaps daily, and dispatch all you see. Look up info so you know what the eggs look like -- squish those, too.

o

Yep, that's exactly what I have. Thank you so much! I'm going out now to kill them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here