Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how often do you water sweet potatoes?

Posted by michelelc 6B, MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 18:19

We haven't had rain in about 2 wks. We aren't in a drought like many others, but it is dry. I am growing sweet potatoes for the second year. Last year we had more rain and I rarely watered. This year I am growing with black plastic for the first time. I am wondering how often I should be watering? Right now, I pour about half a watering can of water through the slit of each plant about once a week.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how often do you water sweet potatoes?

While it is extra dry, they need more water. Also the temperature figures into things here. Plastic holds in moisture...for a while. Then it is drier under nonirrigated plastic...very dry. I hold the hose under the plastic hole where the plants are for about 10 seconds on each hole every 3 days or less.

Later when the roots are sizing up and nearer harvest, lighten up on water so as to not encourage fungal disease on the roots.

o

Thanks Wayne! I will be out there tomorrow watering. I like your way of sticking the hose under the plastic instead of my way of filling a watering can 10 times, very tedious.

o

• Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 10:48

I am growing sweet potatoes for the first time. Our weather, which features cool nights, makes this difficult. I am growing them under a small plastic tunnel which I close at night to preserve heat.

I have read the SP should be watered with warm water. The shock of cold water, even in a climate such as yours, will set them back. I am accomplishing this by watering from a long hose left in the sun.

My plants are well behind yours. They are just beginning to take off. Good luck to you...it looks like you have a fine patch!

o

My sweetpotatoes generally need set back then as they tend to get too big.

o

I have not found much on the amount of water needed. like 1" every two weeks or 1" a week. Is there any guidelines , not finding it on the web. should you wait till they get a littly wilty looking? thanks for any help. They started looking a little limp but we did get some rain this week and now they look Ok. I want to put soaker hose down the row and give controlled watering. Thanks for any help

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 15:04

I like wayne_5, watering plan.
But I watered my ST twice a week with the tomatoes.

o

I tend to think they don't need much water. I've grown them twice. This year I have a small patch, and they're growing under black landscape fabric. It's been hot and dry here too, but I haven't watered them much at all, and they haven't wilted and seem to be growing well as ever. Since I read this thread a few days ago, I gave them more water.....the warm water from the hose sitting in the sun. What's nice about the fabric is that the water soaks right through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here