Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants on Okra/ Aphids? attracted by aphids? really?

Posted by ju1234 8 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 18:20

Ok I see ants swarming in my Okra beds for ever. I don't see any particular damage to the plants.

Web search shows me the following as pretty much the universal explanation: Aphids produce secretions/honeydew which ants love. My objection to that theory: There are very few aphids on the Okra, hardly to talk about. However, all my cucurbits are loaded with millions aphids of all ages. Yet, I don't see any ants going to the cucurbits.

The other explanation I have seen is: they suck the juice at the base of the blooms. But I don't really see many ants on the blooms although I see a few aphids on the blooms.

Any other explanation?

How to get rid of them? Spraying them kills only the ants that are physically present there and get direct contact. For every ant killed this way, there are thousands more. Tracking the ant trails I don't see any accesible ant mounds. So, how do i get rid of them for good? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here