Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yessabub

Dish liquid for Japanese beetle prevention?

Yessabub
10 years ago

I heard about this so I decided to try it on my bell peppers which they have been destroying. Will it hurt my plants? Also does it really prevent them as we'll as other bugs that try to eat them? I only used a small squirt of Palmolive Oxy in a spray bottle of water.

Comments (9)

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

It might burn your plants. The application method is to put a drop of dish detergent in a cup of water, to break the surface tension, then shake/brush/pick the beetles off the plants and drop them in the cup.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree. It can easily burn your plants if not mixed and applied correctly. Plus it only works, and then only minimally since it is really meant to be used on soft body insects, if you spray the bugs directly.

Just mix up a bucket of soapy water and knock them off the plant and into the bucket.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

why to get the brush wet in the first place, if you just want to push/collect the beetles into the solution? You can even use tweezers, without getting the soapy water on the plant. I would just get the spray to kill them and set up traps.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I meant brush off with your hand. I guess you could use a paintbrush but no need to get it wet ;-) I'd think it would be hard to get them with tweezers. And a lot of people think the traps attract more than they collect, making the problem worse.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I walk around with a glass of soapy water and if they are in groups I put the glass carefully below them and tap them in.

• qbush
    10 years ago

I cut the side/top out of an empty bottle that has a handle, leaving the handle on. A large dishwashing bottle, or milk jug works well. Add soap, warm water, shake a bit for foam, and knock beetles into water. The handle makes it easier to position the bottle for maximum beetle capture. Wait until they drown, empty and repeat.

I also find that they like to congregate in the heat of the day, easier to get several at a time

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

QBush, Where do you empty the beetles? Are you aware that larva hatch out of those dead female beetles?

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Wayne, larva don't hatch out of beetles. The beetles lay eggs and larvae hatch out of eggs . Dead beetles can't lay eggs.

What you may be seeing are larva of flies. Flies lay eggs on dead matter (beetles). The larva hatch from the eggs and eat the dead stuff and then turn into flies. Quite a cycle.

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 11:28

• chas045
    10 years ago

The only nice feature of JB's is that their defense mechanism is to fall when they sense danger. You can place a hand, creating a shadow above a bunch of them and they will fall or roll off of a leaf right into your pot of water. JB's are drawn to each other and will usually be found in groups. I doubt there is a relationship between heat of the day and grouping. However, if the heat of the day is actually hot, they will no longer fall, but instead fly away; and they are almost impossible to catch in the heat of the day.