Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lam702

kale and cukes eaten!

lam702
9 years ago

I have a veggie garden with a 6 ft chain link fence around it. Also, fencing material buried underground, 2 ft wide around the perimeter of the fence, to discourage burrowing under it. And yet....I went out there this morning and my kale has been gobbled up, along with some serious munching on my cucumber plants. I do have a woodchuck problem, they've been eating my flowers up, and I even saw one up on my 2nd story deck, eating all my potted petunias. Is it too much to think that they could climb a 6 foot fence to get to the veggie plants? My sister saw one climb her 4 ft fence, so if they can climb 4 ft, why not 6? Husband thinks its a squirrel or a chipmunk, do they eat veggie plants? I am not sure what to do at this point. Because its a veggie garden, I can't spray anything that isn't truly organic in nature. I thought maybe if I sprinkled dried blood meal about the garden, that might help? My husband is ready to put a chain link roof on top, on the chance that critters are climbing over the fence. This is really getting ridiculous, between the woodchucks and the deer, so far I've had my petunias, zinnias, cosmos, hostas and daylilies gobbled up and now this, I have just about had it. Suggestions would be most appreciated!

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Possible? Yes, but so are many other varmints possible. As for spraying something, there are many organic pest repellents available for everything from deer, rabbits, chipmunks, skunks, and even armadillos (my personal bad guy)..

Dave

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Can you add an electrified wire at the top of your fence? They have solar-powered ones.
    I've seen a woodchuck about12' up a tree. And deer can jump 6'.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Throw deer fencing over top. It's plastic and lightweight. Pin it down around the top with clothes pins.

• lam702
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm pretty sure its not slugs/insects because the leaves appear to have been cleanly bitten off, rather than chewed upon. I am going to look into the electric wire or deer fencing on the top. This is so dissappointing, all that work planting, hoeing, weeding and then just all gobbled up.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Maybe some of the stuff will grow back?
    I'm really sorry!

• Bloomin_Onion
    9 years ago

I totally hear your pain. Only, my problem didn't happen late in the season but rather early. I am a new gardener, so on top of all the work was the anticipation of growing my first veggie garden for myself and my family, not to mention the neighbours appreciate my pretty flowers. Not to mention I grew them all from seed, starting them indoors under grow lamps which took up a 3' X 4' amount of real estate in the corner of my living room! About 2 weeks after I planted all my babies, I started coming outside to find whole tomato plants just... gone! Snipped off at the base. Nothing left, no chewed bits. I thought it was rabbits, so I put up chicken wire around 2 of the tomato plants. The next day, both were gone! So I said it's not rabbits. I set out rat traps... the kind you bait and they snap. That night my husband and I heard a *SNAP!* outside our bedroom window, and we go outside to see the biggest VOLE I've ever seen! The following 2 weeks we caught 6 more in the same manner, but that first one was the biggest of them all. No more plants gone!

BTW, we put the traps around the perimeter of the garden, and baited them with apple pieces. Good Luck in finding your critter!

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

I have seen cottontails wriggle through wires hooked up to a five mile charger, so electricity may not always be the answer when dry fur is involved. Woodchucks / groundhogs / muskrats respond best to a .22 rifle, but the rat trap thing is good for smaller varmints. Peanut butter or walnut halves are my favorite baits for rodents.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

I would suggest a dog.

Sorry about the plants...

• lam702
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You know, when we had a dog we never had this problem. I do think she was a deterent. Since her passing, however, the wildlife seems to think its an all you can eat buffet. Last night I noticed more zinnias eaten, just the flower buds this time;. That seems like deer, usually deer don't eat the zinna leaves, just the buds. Forget my roses, all the buds were eaten too. It is frustrating, maybe you are right, Peter, what I need is another dog......

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Great! Be sure to get a rescue :)

• Bloomin_Onion
    9 years ago

Couldn't agree more peter! :)