Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eggplant,cucumbers,and tomato plants

Posted by ncgardner330 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 19:03

This is my first year planting a garden. Something keeps eating my eggplant leaves, cucumber leaves and tomato leaves and I don't know what is eating. This is the 2nd time this has happen to my eggplant; so I pulled up the last ones and planted these ones but something ate the leaves off these plants too. I also have lost so cucumber plants because what ever is eating the leaves off my plants ate all of my plants. Does anyone know what could be doing? I have more pics of the other plants. maybe I can post them later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eggplant,cucumbers,and tomato plants

Could it be deer? That poor thing looks totally decimated. You should post some more pictures (of the other plants) if you have them.

As a side note, your zone says NC. As a fellow North Carolinian I would like to officially sympathize with the puddles of water on either side of the plant.

-Anne

o

I may be hallucinating but i see what looks like raccoon tracks right above the waterline on the right side. Even without the possible tracks they are a distinct possibility.

But then so are deer (but you'd see tracks in the mud), opossums, rabbits, groundhogs, and even rats.

It's a stretch but given all the water maybe even climbing cutworms. They will climb to get out of the saturated soil.

So unfortunately, several possibilities. What kind of wildlife do you see around normally?

Dave

o

Thanks for the replies. I got some ideas now on what it could be. I will look tomorrow to see what the tracks could be. And I willpost more pics tomorrow.

o

this is another egg plant pic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here