Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pumpkin growing zone 5

Posted by dolivo none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 19:08

Hi all. I've got three pumpkin plants growing in my garden. Only one has good size pumpkins on it. 3 of them that have been growing for well over a month now. But the other two plants do not have any pollinated growing pumpkins on them. (one POSSIBLY has a brand new one) but even if it did, is it too late in the season for a newly pollinated pumpkin to grow? I live in zone 5. I'm wondering because if there's not enough time, I might as well pull the two other plants instead of letting them grow all over my garden.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pumpkin growing zone 5

There is still enough time. Fruit that sets in the next 2-3 weeks should still have time to mature in a typical Zone 5 climate, albeit a late maturity, you may need to cover a few nights against early frost to let them get those last few days in. However, for anyone east of the Rockies, the NWS is forecasting continued above-normal temps into the fall and all through the winter for the northern states, so this year hopefully will be a good one for late crops.

o

I sure hope there is still time, I don't have a pumpkin yet from my three plants, I finally had a male flower open today and I see a female on the end of one of the vines, however she won't be opening for a few more days at least!

o

Thanks :-) I went out this evening and looked and the second plant actually has 2 small pumpkins growing. they are smaller than a tennis ball but bigger than a golf ball. So hopefully we will get 5 nice pumpkins for the kids this fall. The other three pumpkins are so cute, they have turned orange but are still small enough, I just wanna go out and talk baby talk to them! (I know, I'm weird)

o

haha you sound like me!

o

Thanks :-) I went out this evening and looked and the second plant actually has 2 small pumpkins growing. they are smaller than a tennis ball but bigger than a golf ball. So hopefully we will get 5 nice pumpkins for the kids this fall. The other three pumpkins are so cute, they have turned orange but are still small enough, I just wanna go out and talk baby talk to them! (I know, I'm weird)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here