Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unkown Plant

Posted by techsmex 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 19:09

Can anyone tell me what type of plant this might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unkown Plant

I'm sorry: I can't remember the name. I can't remember how I was able to find it before. It is essentially a weed, but I believe that I found that some in Asia eat the stuff with the flower. Perhaps they even cook the leaves similar to Poke Weed, but perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me about that. With all that almost useless info, I just wanted to let you know that you can consider it to be a weed and yank it/them out.

edit--- OK, found it by searching on 'heart shaped leaf weed'. From Wikipedia: It is Velvetleaf and has been grown in China since around 2000 BCE for its strong, jute-like fibre. The leaves are edible, stir-fried or in omelette. The plant is known as maabulha in the Maldives and its leaves were part of the traditional Maldivian cuisine, usually finely chopped and mixed with Maldive fish and grated coconut in a dish known as mas huni.[4] The seeds are eaten in China and Kashmir.[5]

Wikipedia goes on to say it is invasive in the US and inhibits conventional crops.

This post was edited by chas045 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 20:51

o
RE: Unkown Plant

Great info chas045! I was hoping it was a vegetable of some sort. Oh well, maybe I'll try the leaves.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here