Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you freeze chard without blanching

Posted by zippity_duda 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 19:14

Hi,

All of the traditional freezing recipes that I have seen include blanching to stop the enzymes and prevent aging of the veggies. Then I started seeing some where they did not blanch. Has anyone frozen chard without blanching and what was your opinion of blanching versus not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you freeze chard without blanching

It needs blanching. Frozen without blanching, it turns tasteless unless used very soon.

o

Check out the Harvest Forum too as I have read threads on this question there frequently - chard, kale, collards, and all the other greens - I think most there agree that blanching (or braising) is required before freezing.

o

I blanch most veges, but have never with chard. My chard goes year round. I'm just now picking it for the chickens and planting it for the winter !
Nancy

o

you should ask this question in the Harvest Forum. They deal with these issues.

o

Thanks! I will try the other forum, and for now will blanch what I am freezing.

o

A lot of people will tell you that you don't have to blanch veggies and I think it is a matter of taste...but in my opinion...you really should blanch for the best flavor...and after all the work of getting the bed ready, planting, tending and all the work involved...I just am not willing to take a chance...and how hard is it to blanch something?

o

It really isn't that hard to blanch (this was my first time, and I wasn't really sure how). Growing up we didn't freeze much, we canned or ate fresh. There were 7 of us in my family and when my mom canned, she canned! She would buy bushels and bushels of stuff, and we would can for days (and days) and I was trying to avoid canning. I am freezing because right now I usually don't have that kind of time. Since I waited so long to start freezing, it did take me an entire day to blanch and freeze (could also be me being clumsy trying to figure out which pots to use, ect!) If I stay on top of it, I should be able to put away a few bags at a time!

How important is it to only do one layer of chard at a time?
Any other tips on blanching?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here