Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing allotment potatoes

Posted by Tony1964 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 19:15

Hi all, I'm new to this sight and am hopefully going to enjoy reading and sharing information with the new and experienced.
I have had a bumper crop of 'main crop' potatoes this year, Deserie & King Edward.
I've read lots of different ways to store but I only have a small shed in my allotment.
Could I harden them off then store them in galvanised bins with shreaded paper ?
Please advise before I lose them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing allotment potatoes

Did you leave them in the ground until their skins were hardened off a bit? (well after the tops die back)
After that, get them DRY. I lay mine out on newspaper and run a fan over them for a few days, turning them over once (I grow close to 200 pounds of potatoes -- so this *can* be done with a big harvest!)
After that you want cool, good air circulation, some humidity but not too much, and DARK. And you definitely don't want freezing. How dark/not too humid/above freezing all winter is your shed?

So I'd say no on the shredded paper -- would only block air flow.
Galvanized bin is okay -- But I use plastic laundry baskets with open slats to maximize air flow. To maximize space you could use stackable bins or shelves to put the bins on.

I'm sure others will have ideas for you, too.
Can't lose the potatoes!!!

This post was edited by elisa_Z5 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 9:35

o

If it is cool where you live, store them in the ground for quite a while unless the weather is extra wet and the soil soggy.

o

My parents, experts at feeding us for a year with a short summer's crops, would store potatoes right out of the field in an unheated (but not freezing) dry dark cellar in wooden barrels/kegs all winter. This was in New Hampshire (north east USA seacoast) where the winter temps pretty much mirrored the southern UK. By spring (late April) the remnants were softening and sprouting and became seed potatoes. I don't know the variety.

o

>his was in New Hampshire (north east USA seacoast) where the winter temps pretty much mirrored the southern UK

Really? New Hampshire is milder than the rest of New England? I never knew that.

o

I don't grow potatoes but afaik they do not store well for very long in the ground in the British Isles. It's just too wet and they rot or get eaten by slugs. RHS says up until October if it isn't to wet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storing potatoes

o

I store potatoes in bushel barrels in the garage. I put a layer of hay in first, then potatoes and so on til its full, ending with some hay. No problems so far, and they all keep.

o

"This was in New Hampshire (north east USA seacoast) where the winter temps pretty much mirrored the southern UK" Not sure that's accurate. I believe NH winters are much colder, even on the coast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here