Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

A few novice asparagus questions

I'm not new to gardening in general or even to vegetable gardening but, regarding asparagus, I am a complete novice.
I know I have a lot of reading and research to do and I will but, for now, I have a few quick questions.

* In the reading I have done about growing asparagus I've noticed several traits, growing conditions, habits, requirements, etc. that seem to be shared with ferns. To those of you experienced --especially with both -- is this accurate?

I have several large patches of ferns, have been working with them for years and am quite familiar with their needs, growing conditions, which of the yard's "micro-climates" they prefer, etc. and, if these perceived similarities are accurate this could be very helpful to giving me a significant head start with the asparagus. Would it be accurate to say that asparagus will thrive in an area where ferns are happy?

* When I read to mulch asparagus for winter "with a 6 inch layer of leaves on the soil" should this be interpreted as
a 6 inch layer of loosely raked leaves as one might with strawberries, ie. lots of air pockets OR
a 6 inch layer of leaves that have already gone through the shredder: not a lot of air pockets but lots of material?

I'm sure the latter would be good during growing season.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living