Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggiesrus

Fall Garden for Kids

veggiesrus
15 years ago

We have had a great time with the summer garden and both of the boys (7 & 9) have had a blast. We are all very interested in planting a Fall Garden but this is new to us. Can any of you suggest which vegetables we should plant and when we should get started? Also, if there are specific varieties we should be looking for, please let us know which and where we should look for seeds.

We are in Slidell, LA - Zone 8. I bought 3 Creole Tomato plants yesterday and we bought the following seeds at Home Depot:

Squash - Early Prolific Straightneck

Zucchini - Elite Hybrid

Cucumber - Straight Eight

Carrots - Scarlet

Lettuce - Bibb

Radishes - Sparkler White Tip & Early Scarlet Globe

I was thinking about adding the following:

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Cabbage

Bok Choy

Chinese Cabbage

Snap Beans

Snap Peas

Snow Peas

We would love to grow anything but not sure what will do well in the fall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob, Bobby & Jonathan

Comments (11)

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

You might consider some kohlrabi, radishes, and/or cilantro, I just planted some of them yesterday.

Dean

• trsinc
    15 years ago

You might want to hold up on some of those! It's still summer for many of us in zone 8 and not quite time for what "hot zone" people call winter (not fall) vegies. This is why so many people refer others to their agricultural extension agency for their area. For my area of Texas, which is quite different from some other zone 8's are, seeds: beans, corn, cucumber, garlic, potatoes, shallot, summer squash, okra, black eyed peas, new zealand and malabar spinach, winter squash.

And for the cooler things like broccoli, b. sprouts, cauliflower, chinese cabbage, fennel, kale, rutabaga, etc. - plant in pots or flats and keep them in the shade from the afternoon sun.

I just gave these as an example to demonstrate how different different places can be. Also from one zone 8 to another can differ quite a bit on what to plant when.

Some places do not have ag extensions or at least not very good ones. It's worth checking out, though.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

I looked around a little. Your ag service is a bit hard to find. But I did find a guide which you can order through the mail for free. You may be able to find more when you have more time. Anyway, look below and see if you are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Louisiana veg planting guide

• shebear
    15 years ago

Wow was it ever hard to find a planting date and variety page for you but I finally came up with a PDF.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting dates

• P POD
    15 years ago

Bob, Bobby & Jonathan,

People rave about Southern peas, so I wanted to suggest Willhite Seed (800-828-1840) for a large selection and reasonable prices on both seeds and shipping.

Many good folk over in the Bean forum are very helpful with information on growing and choosing varieties of Southern peas and other legumes.

According to Shebear's link, it's not too late for LA growers to start Southern Peas.

• veggiesrus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the great assistance! We have requested the stuff from LSU and have placed an order with Willhite Seed. Probably ordered waaaaay too much stuff but we will give it a whirl!

Thanks again and we are open to more information or suggestions. We still cannot find potato's. We will be building boxes but I suppose we should look in the Square Foot forum for that information.

Jonathan (7) is driving me nuts! I cant seem to check this forum often enough for him!

Thanks Again!

Bob, Bobby & Jonathan

• kris
    15 years ago

I just wanted to chime in with a simple suggestion. I really prefer french breakfast radishes, they are elongated (think more like a stubby carrot) and taste just as good as the globe ones, but those globe ones are hard to cut and if your boys are going to be slicing anything I personally think french breakfast is way easier to cut. Hey it's the little things,

Kristi

Oh the seeds are available in most stores just look for em.

• P POD
    15 years ago

**We still cannot find potatoes.**

Have you tried Ronninger's, (877) 204-8704, and potatogarden.com, (970) 835-4500, the same people (someone said in another thread), which is also apparent on their web sites. I have no experience with either company.

I don't know if potatoes are available at this time of year. But I can't see why not. The new crop is in already (in many areas) and should be available for setting now, I'd think. Phone the companies and ask.....

At home my parents grew potatoes; the best potatoes for setting were the tiniest ones. Don't ask me why. Cut potatoes were never used for setting.

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Bob, Bobby, & Jonathan, I live just down the highway a bit from you (in south Baton Rouge). Most all of the vegetables you mentioned above do quite well for me during the fall. I seem to only have difficulty with fall planted cukes and squash... not sure why. Everything else does wonderfully.

I prefer the fall garden over the spring garden - less insects, cooler climate (starting in October), less weeds. The planting guide posted by shebear is the one to use. I have used it for the last 30 or so years. July is a bit early to start planting. You can plant some things starting in August (snap beans, potatoes), but peak planting begins in September. And, October, November and December are actually better planting months for some veggies.

Many garden center type places will begin to have fall plants for broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage starting around the end of August. However, I would recommend waiting until September to set out plants. If you are really adventurous you may want to try seeding these plants in August for a September planting. I have had better luck with the hybrid broccoli & cauliflower than with the non-hybrid varieties. Home Depot or Lowes typically have the correct varieties.

The other nice thing about the fall garden is that it comes at the right time: i.e. the holiday time - Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. A Christmas dinner just wouldn't be complete without fresh broccoli or cauliflower.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Kids love to eat things right in the garden (so do I).

Two favorites for this are cherry tomatoes and English peas. Kids find these scrumptious eaten raw and it develops a taste for vegetables.

Jim