Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White stuff on Zucchini Leaves

Posted by marythompson Northern VA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 19:20

I'm a beginner suburban gardener with a small patch of tomatoes and zucchini in my backyard. I'm also a relatively new member of GardenWeb and this is my first posting to the forum.

I've had this white stuff appearing on the leaves of my zucchini plants. The zucchini's themselves seem fine, and the leaves don't seem to be harmed by it either. I didn't notice anything on the stalks or flowers. The white stuff is on a lot of the leaves but not all. It looks as if the plants are dusted with powder.

You can see 2 pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildmary63/

Anyone know what this is? Should I be worried about it? What should I do about it?

A lot of people around here have had tomato blight, but my tomatoes are fine. This is only on the zucchini which I started indoors from seeds myself.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Mary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White stuff on Zucchini Leaves

Looks like it might be powdery mildew. You can spray it with a milk-water concoction to get rid of it.

o

Very cool. Thanks for the tip. I found info about using milk and water at the site below. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk and Water Mixture Article

o

I sprayed the milk/water mix on the leaves this afternoon. I'll post again in a few days after I see any results.

Thanks again,
Mary.

o

Good link there, Mary. I use a solution of milk, baking soda, and a squirt of soap mixed in a hose end sprayer. I found some articles on just milk and water (like the one you posted), and some that said the use baking soda and soap. I figured I would try all of them together. It seems to work pretty good so far.

I have found it works best when you first begin noticing the powdery mildew. If you let it go too far, it pretty much takes over. Powdery mildew is a constant battle here in southeast VA.

Good luck with your zucchini!

Tee

o

My leaves are silvery too and so far I've been getting a couple squash per week which is plenty for us. Does powdery mildew kill the plants or stop them from producing?

o

The 'silver' on your leaves is a natural mottling and is not powdery mildew. PM is white, usually starts as round spots, and can be rubbed off. Here is a pic of my container zucchini taken moments ago...no powdery mildew...HTH
Photobucket

o

I had this same powder on my plants, they were producing zucchini, so I wasn't too concerned. Both of my plants were dead in 2 days. I know what to do in the future now, thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here