Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturalchick27

Question about saving seeds from bell peppers

Naturalchick27
12 years ago

Has anyone successfully grown peppers from seed? I have two bowls of seeds that I saved from a few peppers. Can I plant them? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I tried before and nothing grew:(

Comments (6)

• noinwi
    12 years ago

It's not a dumb question at all and is asked frequently. If you saved seeds from green peppers they may not be mature enough to be viable. Green peppers are simply unripe peppers. It's best to save seeds from ripe fruit, be it yellow, orange or red. If they are ripe enough to start blushing, you may get away with it. I have successfully germinated seed from green jalapenos, but they were just starting to show color, and were apparently just ripe enough. Others may have had different results and hopefully they will post.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Depends on the variety. It is easy to grow peppers from seeds if you buy a packet of regular garden seeds.

But seeds saved from peppers you buy or even some you grow yourself are hybrids. Hybrid seeds don't usually breed true or are sterile. So you need to know the name of the variety to determine if it is a hybrid or not. Or if you have the time to experiment just try growing them in a samll container of seed starting mix. It will take most peppers 8-12 weeks to germinate and grow to transplant size.

Below is the link to the FAQ on How to Save Pepper Seeds and on the Growing from Seed Forum you'll find other FAQs on how to grow them.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ: How to save pepper seeds

• xxx1angel3xxx
    12 years ago

I pretty sure dave means 8 to 12 days

• xxx1angel3xxx
    12 years ago

oh nevermind he said to germinate and grow to transplant thought hee just said to germinate sorry im sleepy

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Yeah, pepper seedlings are slow to germinate and slow to grow. They need 80+ degree soil temps to germinate. :)

Dave

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

I've done quite a few 'experiments' with saved pepper seed, one of which gave me a pepper that I've got in my kitchen @about 2.5-3ft it give me a regular chilli supply for my cooking, another is more of a novelty tree with tiny little chillies and leaves, it looks like a thai variant.

Another however although very very prolific (and bare in mind I only use small containers 7inch max if that) wasn't hot at all and although I do have 2nd gen seed I haven't pursued that lineage at all (yet).

You will get a mixed bag, but most will germinate, some will stumble through and then die, and you may get some good ones you like, or you could get a load of weak, poor fruiting, loosers :)

As to wether the green ones will germinate, they probably will if the seed itself is properly formed.

My advice with the random seed is grow as many as you can, be patient and label them all (even if its just a letter) so if you get an unusual one you know which one it is.

And if you get any someone else will be interested in, then share them with your friends :)

Regards
    Nick

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional