Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber problems-2nd year in a Row

Posted by kingreyam24 Maryland (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 19:29

I have 3 raised vegetable gardens that i have been using for the last 7 years. I never had a problem with my cucumbers until last year. I have always planted the Straight Eight cucumbers. My plants were always dark green and so were the cucumbers. Last year, my cucumber plants started to turn yellow in one spot and then spread to the rest. The plants were completely dead before the end of July. I figured it was because we got more rain last summer than any other since I have lived here (Maryland), which obviously was not the case since it is happening again this year. Would love anyone to help me with what is happening here....thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber problems-2nd year in a Row

Here is a close-up of the worst spot.

o

Last year I had the cucumbers planted where the tomatoes are on the left....in a completely different bed.

o

while I don't see it on the still green leaves in the photo, the yellow and dead parts of the plant look like the results of powdery mildew. Do the green leaves ever have a whitish substance that looks a bit like powder on the leaves? If it isn't this it could be some other fungus, and it might be well worth spraying with immunox. It won't cure the already damaged plant but will keep it from spreading and getting worse if it is a fungus. Good luck.

o

I have some of that on my plants too, I just keep picking off the bad leaves and throwing them in a burning barrel, I do spray mine with Immunox.

o

Downy or Powdery mildew looks like.

See:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2206.html

You may have some success by searching out and planting varieties with more disease resistance than Straight 8. If you have been saving your own seed, discard what you have and resplace it new clean seed.

o

This is the third post in so many weeks showing angular leafspot as a likely cause of cuke decline. It's a bacterial disease that gets established in soil, after which you need resistant varieties forever.

Here is a link that might be useful: VA tech cuke ALS

o

Thanks, I guess I will try the Immunox and hope that the new growth stays green. I've never seen any powdery stuff on the leaves. It would just start as a small yellow holes....almost like holes were burning in the leaves and eventually the leaf would just completely dry up. What are better resistant varieties that I could plant next year? I used the straight 8 because I like the more slender cucumbers with smaller seeds. Are there any resistant varieties that are like the straight 8?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here