Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 9/10 vegetable gardening newbie

Posted by jnap z5 NE-OHIO (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 19:31

My friend has decided to start a vegetable garden in the Naples, FL area and is wondering about tips on what to grow and what does well in her area. I, living in Ohio, have no idea. If there are any veggie growers in south florida who can give advice and tips it would be much appreciated. Thanks for all your help!!

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 9/10 vegetable gardening newbie

One place to start might be http://www.southerngardening.org/ which has lots of educational (both introductory and intermediate) articles on gardening in the south. And, for this purpose, Naples, FL is in the "south." (Even if, culturally, it's not.)

in el cerrito (but used to live in Tampa & Atlanta)

o

• Posted by grandad 9a Louisiana/Sunt28 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 13:28

Check also the Florida Vegetable Planting Guide link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Vegetable Planting Guide

o

I live in South Florida. I use the Florida Vegetable Planting Guide that the previous poster mentioned. I have also found that black eyed peas, lima beans, cherry tomatoes, green beans, summer squash and basil can be planted all during the summer and they do pretty well if you keep them watered. So, we can actually grow vegetables all year round. I just started my tomato, pepper, and eggplant seeds to have my transplants ready for the beginning of September which is when those should be planted down here, I plant them again in March (seeds started in Jan.). I live in St. Lucie County and we rarely have frost here so fall and winter is when I grow most of my vegetable varieties. I am more limited on when I can grow cool weather crops like radishes, swiss chard, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Good luck to your friend and I hope her garden goes very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here