Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Truth or myth: Sugar and tomatoes

Posted by echquiltstorm 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 19:44

I read somewhere that if you put a cup of sugar in the hole when you are planting tomatoes, then the tomatoes will be sweeter. I did it last year, but being a novice I wouldn't know if it really worked. I realized I forgot to do it this year and wondered if it really made the difference?
What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Truth or myth: Sugar and tomatoes

I think someone is feeding you intersting information. My sungolds are very sweet and I didn't add any sugar.

o

Just have a good laugh and ignore it.

o

Sugar can increase biological activity in the soil. This is good and bad. Good in that the biology will liberate more nutrients, but bad in that there will be less left in reserve for the next crop.

In no case is there any credible science backing the idea that sugar in the planting hole makes the fruit sweeter. A bit healthier? Perhaps. Sweeter due to sugar? Nope.

o

• Posted by aulani 6 E. Kansas (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 22:11

Save your sugar in the planting hole and sprinkle some on the tomato itself to reduce acid if you have a tummy acid problem. Not much sugar, just a little. I find that about mid season, after I've eaten my weight in tomatoes, that my tummy starts to get a bit upset with all the acid. Sugar reduces it.

o

echquiltsorm,
Nope, sugar in the soil won't somehow travel up the plant into the tomatoes. It might affect the soil activity, as justaguy says. But if you want sweet tomatoes, grow sweet varieties. (Look at the descriptions and avoid words like "bite" and "old=fashioned tomato taste" and look for "sweet" and "mild" and "low-acid" (they probably aren't really low acid, since almost all tomatoes have the same pH, but those with more sugar often TASTE less acidic).

Sungolds, like macheske has, are the sweetest known---lovely little organe things you can pop like candies! We dry them and use them like dried figs or apricots.

aulani,
Sugar will reduce the acidic *flavour* by adding a sweet flavour, but it won't reduce the actual acidity level in the tomato. Sugar isn't basic so it won't react with the acid to raise pH.

On the other hand, if adding a little sugar helps your tummy feel better, no reason not to do it!

Zabby

o

echquiltstorm
I read somewhere that if you put a cup of sugar in the hole when you are planting tomatoes, then the tomatoes will be sweeter.

My Grandmother and Great Grandmother used 1 table spoon of sugar per gallon of water just before they harvested their tomatoes. I did a search on the net for "how to grow sweeter tomatoes using sugar" and found nothing to support that it worked. I did find a Canadian trial that used 1/4 seawater per (imperial) gallon that did get some added sweetness in the lab. They said it was most likely "due to plant stress from the salt". I will try and find it again if you would like the link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here