Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommomsgarden

Cucumbers growing

mommomsgarden
10 years ago

How do you know when to pull cukes off the vine? There are prckles on the veg and it looks big! Just unsure when it's ok to pick

Comments (16)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Don't pull it, cut it.

Don't let it get big. Younger is better.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Almost all varieties of cucumber have prickles on them. And if it looks big then you probably could have already picked it. You pick them when you want them.

Rodney

• myluck
    10 years ago

I like small cucumbers. Still dark green, 4 to 5 inches long, and about as big around as the handlle on my trowel. If they get any larger than that, I give them to the people I don't like.

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so if they have spikes you eat them? How do I go about cutting them off the vine?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Just rub the prickles off, they come off easily. And you cut the stem that attaches the cucumber to the plant with either scissors or pruners.

Rodney

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Cucumber is consumed as an UNRIPE, IMATURE fruit.
    You can set a rule, by size or by its color as when to pick it. B/c different varieties have different size and color.

The best way (to me) to find out is to pick one , cut it length wise and observe. The seeds inside are fully formed but have NOT hardened at all. Then you can have a ball park figure as to when to pick them (at what size) from now on.. Some people prefer slightly hardened seeds, like the ones found in BIG pickled cukes. But generally, smaller is tastier than bigger. UNLESS YOU INTEND TO SELL THEM BY THE POUND !!!

• tdscpa
    10 years ago

I grow a variety that is good tasting until it turns yellow and gets soft. (Doesn't get bitter). However, once it passes a certain size, the seeds get so big that they are not good to eat.

The cucs can still be good to eat, but I pitch the seed core. Just have to learn the maximum good size.

They are so productive, I don't bother with the big ones. But, my compost pile grows some great cucumbers.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

You can't carefully twist them off the vine? am I hurting mine doing this?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

You can't carefully twist them off the vine? am I hurting mine doing this?

Carefully, yes. If you hold the cuke in your hand and then rub your finger across the top where the stem joins the fruit the stem will just pop off the fruit easily.

mommomsgarden - what specific variety are you growing? That will determine what size they are when picked. Pickling cukes vs. slicing cukes vs. gerkins vs. burpless cukes. vs. Asian cukes etc. are all harvested at different sizes.

Dave

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of one. Oh gosh I don't know the name of the cukes ill find out

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh haaaayyy! My first harvests!

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What's up with the fat ones?!!

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

I have fat ones like that, the plant tag called them bush pickles. I only planted pickling cukes. Have been picking them for weeks- but not enough at one time for making pickles. But they are so yummy we don't care. Even the fat ones are tasty.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Looks like you got them at good size(s). Just rub the spines off. I usually take a steak knife out to cut squash and cukes from the stems - broken too many squash trying to twist them off. I like blunt kindergarten scissors for green beans ;-)

And sometimes you just get a fat cuke. Later in the season you might get one that's longer but skinnier at the one end - I did have to pick some like that when everything was getting downy mildew last year.

• lkzz
    10 years ago

The Ashley cucumber is a smooth slicer. I grew them tis year along with Munchers (prickly pickling) and County Fair (prickly pickling). Cutting cuke off vine with sheers is best.

I have some round, fat, bottleneck anomalies and I suspect it is the rain and cooler than usual temperatures. This kind of behavior is usually at the end of the season but
    our whole summer has been anything but a typical South Carolina summer.

Target leaf spot is ravaging my plants (so much heavy rain EVERY day for weeks) but still producing fruit and new growth, so I am happy. Still managed to get some pickles put up and make some Tzadiki.

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So are the fat ones going to grow longer or are they ready to pick off? (See pic above!)