Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Think I can use my tomato cages to train peas?

Posted by tomatotomata 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 19:47

I'm starting to think of fall planting. I'll be planting in pots, and I thought I'd use my big Texas tomato cages for the vines to grow up. Anyone else ever do this? How did it work for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Think I can use my tomato cages to train peas?

I don't know what you mean by a "Texas" tomato cage, but yes, any fence type structure is fine for peas. I used regular tomato cages one time for sugar snaps, which was OK until they started to produce pods, the vines grew far taller than the cages, and then they flopped. Lesson learned -- just make sure the size of the support matches the potential height of the variety you grows. Regular tomato cages are fine for short peas, it takes something taller for a taller pea. I'm guessing that "Texas" tomato cages are big and tall?

o

Go for it! I use normal tomatoe cages for my snap peas. They work great. IIRC Texas tomato cages are real tall. They'll do just fine!

o

Yep, that is what I do.

o

Great. I spent a bundle on those cages; love 'em, but I want to get my $ worth.

o

I'd try it. you have nothing to lose. I mistakenly didn't give my peas enough support in the spring and it turned into a mess. I find every variety I select grows 5-6 feet tall. Support with give you many more peas and keep things clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here