Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crowder Peas

Posted by joy_unspeakable NC (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 19:54

Like many other recent posters, I am wanting to plant a fall garden this year. I've checked recent threads and my county extension website to see what grows best in my area.

I was really wanting to plant some crowder peas or cow peas. This will be my first time planting these. I went to my local hardware store where I usually buy a lot of my seeds and they are out of all seeds for the rest of the season (they said due to increased gardening this year and drought last year - supplier is out). I also checked the victory seeds website (and several others) - all are out of the suggested variety for my area.

Thought about trying to find some on ebay? Anyone have any good suggestions for crowder pea types to grow in the piedmont area of NC. Or any fall veggies that you have tried in this area.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crowder Peas

You might try these two companies. Southern Exposure is located in Virginia and the other Georgia. Both sell crowder and Southern peas.

http://www.southernexposure.com or http://www.cooperseeds.com/

I tried some Black Crowders this year for the first time and love'em!! I should have planted more. Mississippi Silver Hulls are good ones too.

o

I got my cow peas from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.(link below) They have several different varieties. I wonder how well the peas will grow in zone 7 if I plant now?? Anyone know about cow peas planted last week of July?? If anyone has done this please post your results.

Thanks,
DL

joy_unspeakable,
Not trying to hijack your thread - just need answers to cowpea question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

o

May be a bit late for Crowders. Some of the pinkeye/purple hulls get off the mark pretty quickly and may be a better bet in the upper south.

o

I buy mine from Heirloom Acres.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Acres Seeds

o

• Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 23:57

Joy, Willhite Seed has excellent prices, are pleasant to deal with, has low shipping charges, and the seeds are in the mail as soon as the order is placed (800-828-1840). I highly recommend them. And they have a large selection of Southern peas including the ones you are seeking, as well as the ones Farmerdilla recommends.

o

Thank you all for the sites. I went with the Mississippi Purple Hull. We'll see how they do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here