Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long can you store beets in the fridge?

Posted by karen_pgh 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 19:57

And what's the best way of keeping them (not canning) for a while?

Beets are messy to prepare, so I would like to deal with the whole bunch at the same time. I have read that you can cook beets and then freeze them, and of course pickle them, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

In the mean time, the greens have been trimmed, they have been washed, and they are in storage bags in the crisper. How long will they last like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long can you store beets in the fridge?

I don't know how long they'll last in the crisper, but I store mine in a rubbermaid container filled with water. They've been nice and crisp for a week now.

o

• Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 0:55

In the past I've kept store beets for a couple of weeks, with maybe some drying out a bit - I'm not sure on that last. Your garden beets are fresher, so they should OK for that long.

o
per TX A&M 2 weeks

• Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 20:23

Karen,

Here's a link to the TX extension service's fact sheet on growing beets. It states 1 to 2 weeks refrigerator storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Gardening - Beets

o

We dig the remaining beets in Oct, then put them in cold storage and throw the remains to the sheep in April/May. They should stay good until Feb/Mar anyway.

o

I use the greens as they come. The beets themselves I throw in a heavy ziploc bag WITHOUT washing them and leave in crisper in fridge. They stay nice at least 2 months. I swear. I take out what I need and wash and use as I go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here