Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Diamond Watermelon

Posted by samsthumb 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 20:04

I am in central Missouri. We are in a drought with 7+ days of 100+ degrees. Despite this my melons plants look pretty good with watering. My concern, I know getting a crop of black diamond in my area takes forever...with the mild spring and cool nights my melon plants just sat there from May 10 when I planted them to June 1. June 1 I gave them a shot of Miracle Gro and a good soaking. It has been hot and dry since then. Only 2 inches in two rains since May 2. I use a soaker hose and water every 3 or 4 days for 2 hours. My plant leaves look healthy, some flowers mostly male. That's the problem, not many female. I have 12 plants and only 2 golf ball sized melons total. Am I just being impatient or am I not going to get any melons this year. This is my first year with Black Diamond. I've grown several other varieties in the past. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Diamond Watermelon

Patience should pay off. Black Diamond can be a bit more tricky than other watermelons, but it is usually in the area of ripening properly. They normally set ok, just take a long time to ripen and are prone to white heart.

o

Do they need any nutrient to increase flower production? I am leery of MG again as it promotes leaf growth and that is not my problem.

o

Have you tried hand pollination?

The female blossoms are out near the far end of strong runners. They have minature fruits behind the blossom and need pollination before noon. To pollinate, pick a male blossom [bright gold color] and pick off the petals and kiss the female [light yellow with green center] blossom lightly and thourally.

o

Which variety of BD are you growing? If you're growing regular BD or Florida Giant, you're going to have a long wait, and maybe not full ripening. Yellow Belly BD is much more reliable and a better producer. We're having the same weather and I'm watering mine for an hour every day. I get a second crop with YB, and they size down well.

o

The package didn't say what variety. I will remember yellow belly for next year. I was hand fertilizing the few females I had found. I have to do that this time of year for canteloupe as the bees are having an orgy in my daylilies and could care less about little yellow flowers. Thanks for the advice. I guess I need to water more often, as every 3 days is probably not enough with a drought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here