Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loofah leaves turning (growing?) WHITE

Posted by cOsMiC-tRiGgEr none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 20:06

Hey Folks,

I have some loofah plants which I have sprouted from seed. I live in Ohio... and I realize I'm very late getting these started.

I cant figure out why the leaves are white. I have included a pic. The only thing I can find information on is "white powdery mildew". I do not believe this is the cause of the discoloration. As best as I can tell the mildew starts in small circles and builds up to a powdery substance. With my plants.. the leaves seem to just grow white. Can anybody tell me what this is and what I might do to correct it? If you need more information I can provide it to you. THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loofah leaves turning (growing?) WHITE

Normal coloration.

o

I can't solve your problem but I can get a couple of the basic questions outta the way.

Where do you live, do you use fertilizer, if so what kind and how often? Is this outdoors? What kinda sun is it getting?

Someone who knows what they're talking about (I'm just a first year gardener but I do a lot of lurking) probably going to ask more.

o

@IAmSupernova

Cleveland, OH
No fertilizer yet-- just recently sprouted
Outdoors
6-8 hours of direct sun

@Jean001A
Maybe the picture resolution is not clear but this is most definitely not the normal coloration. I have grown these before and they were green. These leaves are very white.
Any input?

o

At the beginning of the season, I got a loofa plant from a friend and transplanted it into my garden. Immediately some bug ate the central shoot. The plant turned whitish like your photo. It sat like that for about 10 days, not doing much. The temps were a little cool. On day 11, it started to grow and all the new growth was normal green. The plant was almost 50 feet long before I hacked it back two days ago as it was trying to strangle other plants. It has three loofahs on it - which have been there most of the summer. None of the other female flowers every produced, just died. Two days after hacking it back, two of the female flowers are blooming and the the fruit is swelling.

Not an expert, but I wonder if Loofahs like adversity?

Cindy

o

Wow! That's huge! I'm surprised you only got 3 loofahs out of that monster. Maybe you are right.. I know down in FL the plant covered a 5ft trellis and produced 10 fruits. I do believe the newer leaves are showing less discoloration. Hopefully they will continue to grow nice and green... Not that there is any chance of me harvesting mature fruit starting so late in the season. I planted them more to satisfy my garden withdrawal as I just moved away from my beautiful FL garden to OH.

Just remember.. If you are growing for scrubbers make sure you don't let them completely dry out as you would certain decorative gourds. Otherwise the scrubber will have a brown color and will not be as effective. But not too early either... at least mine ended up having that issue when I just left them to dry.

I appreciate all the responses. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here