Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery mildew on zukes--a brave experiment!

Posted by lizbeth_pa zone 6p (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 20:25

I researched, asked expert gardeners such as my Amish neighbor, and no one seemed to answer my quests about powdery mildew on zukes. I know it's kind of bad when it occurs. Mine seemed to be healthy all along until this past wkend when we got our humidity back and rain storms came in! Anyway, the leaves looked so bad and some were wilting and shriveling, that I decided to cut off the most badly infected ones. I did see that there were some healthy leaves under the top ones that were infected. Also it was getting on the pumpkin. I gave it a "bad haircut" as I like to say and I'm gonna see if the zuke plants will indeed come back or just get worse, then I'll just pull them and put in a fall veggie. Wish me luck and I'll try to get pics for you. I threw all the bad leaves outin our dumpster, also my gardening gloves that I had used! LOL!! I'll let you know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery mildew on zukes--a brave experiment!

Keep your eye out for squash vine borers as well, they will cause leaves to wilt also...

o

When my zukes start getting PM, I also cut off the badly affected leaves, give the plants a shot of fert(to support the new growth)and spray the plant with fungicide to slow down the PM. It really helps to get them to the end of the season for me.

o

I think that removal is only half the key, you still will need to spray something to keep the newer growth clean. The organism infects before it's visible.

I can't remember what I sprayed with a few years back, but it worked well. Possibly something along the lines of Immunox or Daconil -- I REALLY can't remember.

The other approach, though, is to start new plants around July 1st and set out.

Honestly, though, being summer squash, I just get sick of them and frankly don't care after about the middle of August, and they do usually hold on long enough to produce the odd squash or two going into the fall for fresh eating.

o

Upon checking the zuke plants earlier this morning, I saw that they still looked good! But that is a good idea to start some new zuke plants about July 1st or maybe on the 4th of July to make it easier to remember! I did spray them w/ some fungicide but should probably redo w/ the spray cuz I took off most of the affected leaves. I thought some of the leaves had early blight, also, which could easily affect some of my other veggies that are currently healthy! I am happy w/ the decision to have done this and it gave new life not only to the zukes but also to some things that were getting swallowed up by those big guys! Zukes seem to like to take over the garden! lol!
Now I'm working on the pumpkin to avert as much of the powdery mildew on them as possible also!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here