Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

My potatoes have fruits, and are turning yellow/dying down

nick_b79
9 years ago

Well, this is something I've never seen before.

I planted a 25' row of Yukon Gold's in early May, and they were doing great until about 2 weeks ago. At that point, I noticed they were looking a little worse for wear, and were bearing green potato seed balls. I'm familiar with what they are, but I've never personally seen any before. Now, they're all yellowed, stems tipping over, leaves drying out.

The soil is rich, moist and well-mulched with grass clippings, and we've had a wetter-than-usual year so far, so they aren't stressed from heat or lack of water. No insects other than a few stem borers that are easy to spot and kill (wilting stem in a patch of green, bore-hole midway up).

It's almost like they think it's fall already and time to die back. Yukons are a 90-day potato, but they're grown at best 70 days.

It's too late to save them, so I just want to know why they did what they did, and how I should proceed to utilize the potatoes in the ground? Anyone think they'll keep in my cellar, or should I treat them as new potatoes and start eating potatoes with every meal so they don't go to waste?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?