Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloomin_onion

Are Stink Bugs really harmful?

Bloomin_Onion
9 years ago

Zone 2-3...
Hi all, so I didn't know what these guys were but something in the back of my brain remembered my mom telling me they smelled bad when I was really little. Now I'm finding them in my garden and I wouldn't say I have an "infestation", but I would say they are common. I just thought they were bugs, maybe gross to touch if they made your hands stink, but normal around the garden and no big deal until I googled them just today and it turns out they're not good or nice at all to veggie plants... and sunflowers which is my main concern since out of the 8 I planted, 2 have made it to near maturity and I'd hate to see them get sick from the stink bugs.

The internet told me that Cukes, Tomatoes and sunflowers were just some of the main prey of these bugs who carry sicknesses and create wounds on the plants to boot. Just how bad are they? How much damage do they create? And most importantly, how can I get rid of them without making my 4 year old sick when she sneaks a raw tomato from the plant while I'm not looking and eats it like an apple? I can't use poisons that will make her sick. Any help would be amazing, thanks!

Comments (3)