Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please look at these eggplant pant photos. Are these healthy?

Posted by wishington 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 20:32

Hi,

This is my first year of having a garden. One thing I was very excited about was my eggpants. So far they just look odd. They are the Black Beauty variety, hybrid.

Aside from having a few bites taken out of the leaves, is this how eggplants look? I planted these in March indoors, and put them out end of May. I don't think I see any flowers yet. I wonder how long that will take.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please look at these eggplant pant photos. Are these healthy?

They look just fine to me. Some of mine have that funny curl,too. I'm not sure what that's all about.

o

They have what is called "leaf curl" (same thing as tomato leaf curl as in the same family and you can Google it for lots of info). It is a sign of stress usually caused by inconsistent soil moisture levels and/or too much nitrogen fertilizer. Once the stress is eliminated they do fine. It is a natural cry for help from the plant if you will. ;) But it doesn't affect over-all plant health or its ability to produce fruit.

Those plants could really, really use some mulch. Not only will heavy mulching (straw or old hay is perfect) stabilize the soil moisture levels and reduce the stress, keep down weeds, and insulate the roots, but it will decrease your need to water nearly as often and improve your soil in the process.

Naked soil should never be allowed in the garden. ;)

Dave

o

Wow, thanks SO much!

I'm going to figure out how to get some mulch as soon as I can. And look up the curl issue on google.

Could I use card board to put on the ground? Has anyone ever done that? I don't have an easy source for mulch. What about pine needles?

Thanks so much, you guys are fabulous!

Sylvia
(Wishington)

o
RE: Please look at these eggplant plant photos. Are these healthy

Another reason for a "leaf curl issue" is using weed killer in the vicinity.

Did you ?

o

You can generally buy straw at the big box stores like Home Depot or your local farmers coop. Be careful with pine needles as they will acidify your soil. Tomatoes, as do most veggies, like a slightly acid soil (6.0-6.8) but you would want to know your pH before using pine. Other things like dried grass clippings, leaves, straw decompose to pH neutral. Green vegetation, fresh sawdust, etc will use the soils nitrogen to break down and rob it from the plant - so age them first.

o

We haven't used any weed killer in the area, but our top soil was brought in this spring, so who knows if there was weed killer used around it before?

The tomatoes and potatoes are also curling a little, but seem to be doing OK.

Thank you,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here