Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie47

No idea what's growing in my garden!

newbie47
10 years ago

I wanted to plant a garden this year & nothing was going to stop me. I had to travel & be gone for awhile & my son & nephew actually planted the seeds I bought! They did till the ground first and now it is actually growing! They threw the packets away. So now I want to care for it but don't know what to do next. I have grass growing around then. Do I pull it?

Comments (20)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

If the grass is growing among the crops, yes, get rid of it.

If you want help identifying what is growing, please post images

• myluck
    10 years ago

Are they planted in rows, square foot, helter skelter?

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't seem to post a picture from the pics I already have on my phone so I'll take a picture of what I have growing tomorrow before I go to work and post it. I guess I'll pull the grass out as soon as I get off work. Thanks so much for helping! Please don't forget me tomorrow. I will post the pictures tomorrow. I would really like to care for (appropriately that is) whatever it is that I have growing. Thanks again! :-)

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't seem to post a picture from the pics I already have on my phone so I'll take a picture of what I have growing tomorrow before I go to work and post it. I guess I'll pull the grass out as soon as I get off work. Thanks so much for helping! Please don't forget me tomorrow. I will post the pictures tomorrow. I would really like to care for (appropriately that is) whatever it is that I have growing. Thanks again! :-)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

To be fair, you may not want give credit to your son and nephew for what they planted, BUT you cannot blame them for what they did NOT plant(the grass and weeds). lol

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

What seeds did you buy? Seems like the only problem is figuring out what's planted where (did they group things together?).

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops! Looks like i did forget the pic this morning. Here it is. I wish i could remember what packets I picked but I would want to say what I like but I think I mainly picked by what it said wasn't too late to plant. Thank you everyone for your response! I'll be pulling the grass this evening. Does anyone know what these look like?

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I think I see a cucumber or a squash,

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops! Looks like i did forget the pic this morning. Here it is. I wish i could remember what packets I picked but I would want to say what I like but I think I mainly picked by what it said wasn't too late to plant. Thank you everyone for your response! I'll be pulling the grass this evening. Does anyone know what these look like?

{{!gwi}}

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! ILOVE both of those! I hope it is. I bought organic plant food but somehow the container broke yesterday when I put the hose on it but I do think the garden did get some though before it broke. I'm going to just unscrew the top and pour a little out on the ground around the plants today. I've read that you want to soak the ground and not spray to avoid damaging the leaves.

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! ILOVE both of those! I hope it is. I bought organic plant food but somehow the container broke yesterday when I put the hose on it but I do think the garden did get some though before it broke. I'm going to just unscrew the top and pour a little out on the ground around the plants today. I've read that you want to soak the ground and not spray to avoid damaging the leaves.

• elisa_z5
    10 years ago

I love your joyful enthusiasm, newbie47 :)

You can hoe up the grass between the plants, and if there is a lot of grass growing right up to the plants, you can mulch (maybe with grass clippings?) right around the plants. (since you don't want to damage the plant roots by getting too agressive with the weeds growing right with them).

To care for them . . .wow, so much to learn.
    My best advice is that if it doesn't rain for a week, then water them deeply (some people water often, I dont' ever water -- seems to be a matter of preference and climate.)

Also, it looks like some of those groupings have 3 or 4 plants growing together. Those "hills" are a little small to support that many plants, so you may want to clip them back to 2 plants per "hill". Actually, I just realized your dog gives us the sizing -- one plant per hill may be best. (they'll get a lot bigger before they produce.) But clip, don't pull -- you dont' want to disturb the roots of the plant you're leaving in the ground.

You could always post photos in a couple weeks and we'll probably be able to tell you more specifically what you have. Also, close ups of the smaller plants (the ones with big leaves are the cucumbers or squash) would be helpful.

Also, tell us what your zone is, or if you don't know, tell us what state and north or south in the state, and if you're at altitude, etc. -- knowing your growing area would be helpful.

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Elisaz5 for the detailed advise! It is soooo appreciated! Also everyones advice is greatly appreciated too! Well I hoed up the grass and weeds around the plants and was very careful not to disturb the plants. I think I found another row of something else growing too. I am very excited to post another picture of how it looks now. My phone crashed this past week so I should be getting my replacement Monday or Tuesday and when I do I'll be posting a picture. One more thing, I'm not sure what you mean by hills? Mine have no hills around them???

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in southern SD as an fyi if that helps but here is an updated picture. I am worried because I don't see anything forming and with all three rows or the 2 on the outside for sure have different leaves but yellow flower looking like things blooming on them. I hope it's easier to identify for someone now. I think they're too close together. :(

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

I'm looking at cucurbits. Squash, cukes, or melons. If they are vining, just bury the vines at intervals, and they will root there (and they won't be too close together anymore). Nice looking patch. If you don't have any fruit, and you're in SD, you don't have time for melons, and you might not have time for winter squash. So cross your fingers and hope for the best.

• newbie47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I'm going to look those up right now and images of them. I'll bury some of the leaves tomorrow. I have a couple other rows of unknowns but I was a little embarrassed to post because i haven't pulled the weeds up from around them. I will tomorrow and post a picture of them. My son said he remembered one of the packets of seeds he thinks was arugala. I looked that up and I don't think so. I have my fingers crossed and thank you so much!

10 years ago

Well, bury the vines here and there, not the leaves. The vines are what the roots will be coming out of. Keep them moist, as well. Again, only do this if you have vines. If you just have leaves on stems coming out of the ground in one place, don't bury those.

What you have pictured is CERTAINLY not arugula.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Not squash. Those are cucumis of some kind, cukes or cantaloupes most likely.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

NO melon/cantaloupe there.
    On the top right hand I see squash. Lobed leaves)
    The rest are most likely cucumbers.
    With cucumbers, once they start flowering, you should harvest fruits within 2 to 3 weeks. That is what I like about cukes: You don't have to wait for months. Summer squash is also like cucumber.

10 years ago

FWIW, I have both butternut squash and canteloupes, and the leaves and look a lot like those in the picture, though of course the leaf size in the picture isn't very obvious. The lobes in the picture are sort of pointy, though, and mine are sort of rounded. That may well point to cukes. All the cukes I've ever grown have lobed leaves.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida