Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
potterhead2

onion harvest help

potterhead2
10 years ago

The weather here has been in the upper 80s, sunny, with no rain in several days, but very humid (dew points around 70).

About half of my Walla Wally onions tops have fallen over so I know it's time to harvest.

What I've read about harvesting onions says to pull them out of the soil and leave them in the field for the first day to let them dry, partially covering them with the leaves of another onion if it's going to be really sunny.

So I did that with the first 6-7 onions. Pulled them up yesterday and left them in the row partially covered. But I took 3 home the same day and let them dry in the air conditioned house.

Today I went and got the onions left in the field and they have wilted, withered leaves all in a tangeled mess. The ones in the house are neat and drying out slowly, the leaves are drying but not wilted.

Am I missing something? I need to harvest the rest of the onions and am not sure what to do. Should I harvest and leave them outside to dry for a day as I've read to do? Isn't it better to bring them into the cool and dry house?

Will the wilted ones be okay?

Comments (10)