Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalonkakon

Growing Veggies from Seeds in the Classroom (2nd grade)

kalonkakon
10 years ago

Hi! I am a second grade teacher and I am looking for some ideas about growing plants from seeds in the classroom. I am very new to gardening (I have a small container garden on my patio) and I would like to bring this into the classroom where I teach.

I am thinking of comparing this miracle of growing something great from a small seed to the students growing their minds. I want to have each student (about 24 or so kids) grow a plant from a seed. I am thinking of growing different seeds (because kids are different) and maybe growing things that might be compatible in a dish together (to show that we all have different gifts that can be combined to make something better...)

I don't know if I am over-reaching, but I'd like to give it a go! school starts at the end of August here, which perhaps is not an ideal time to start planting. I would be growing the plants indoors and can acquire some grow lights to help them.

If anyone has any ideas about how to make this a reality, I'd love to hear from you!! Any and all ideas are appreciated. Even if they foods cannot all be combined, I would like to have some variety. And maybe something that the kids can take home and continue to care for.

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (9)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Hmm, the end of August. The plants you choose would have to be fast growing plus they would have to be cool weather veggies. I'm thinking lettuce, radishes, possibly chives (they can take these home and plant them since they are perenial), bok choy, mustard greens, things like that. Obviously, I'm thinking about fresh salads since you get a variety. You could also grow these things under lights in the classroom. Oh, and a swiss chard variety like Bright Lights, it's nice and colorful.

Rodney

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 21:09

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

Herbs are a goof choice because of the ability to grow indoors year round. Think basil, cilantro, parsley.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

I'm not sure about NC weather, but all of the above sound great!
    Do you actually have somewhere to plant, or are you sending the plants home with the kids?
    If you have some boxes or an area to plant, you could do chard, lettuce, broccholi, cilantro and other herbs, carrots, celery, garlic, kale and other greens, transplanted strawberries (if you can over winter)
    Check out some of the other forums. Some of them are by state, some by region. You might get some better advise there!
    Good luck! I've just retired from Spec Ed after 38 years and what am I going to do? Take a Master Garden class and start some school gardens! LOL Nancy

• elisa_z5
    10 years ago

Kalonkakon, what a wonderful idea! And I love the way you will make it a parable for their lives and their learning.

I really like Rodney's salad idea because you can make something for the class to eat without having to cook it.

These are the things that grow fast, are good in a salad, and can be successful indoors: all the greens (as mentioned above): lettuce (there are LOTS of different kinds and colors and shapes), spinach, bright lights chard (very pretty), mustard greens, kale, arugula, mizuna, tatsoi. These are all things that would be in a mesclun mix, and I've grown them indoors under lights with good success.

You can add to this some pea shoots. Research this a bit -- you buy the seeds that are meant for shoots and grow them in a soil-less mix. They grow very fast and are sweet. You can't use normal pea seeds as they may contain bacteria, and you'll be eating the actual plant -- the ones for shoots are certified for shoot growing.

Radishes and chives sound great to add to a salad, and I know radishes grow quickly, but I don't know if they would bulb up under indoor conditions--I don't have experience.

Herbs, as mentioned above, are a really nice idea, too. Just keep in mind that some herbs tend to take a long time to germinate (parsley takes up to 3 weeks!) and they also take some time to become plants, so they would be great to send home with the kids (they can keep them growing at home on a window sill), but maybe not the best for your quicker salad. (They could be used to teach patience :) )

With some grow lights and/or a south facing window, some potting soil, and a bunch of seeds, you can absolutely grow a salad in several weeks, and make this teaching moment come true.

Lucky you -- a class of only 24! Have fun!

Elisa

This post was edited by elisa_Z5 on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 23:22

• florauk
    10 years ago

'You can't use normal pea seeds as they may contain bacteria,'

I was also going to suggest peas for shoots, especially since the seeds are large and easy to handle. But I am dubious about the claim you can't use ordinary peas. With all leafy vegetables you eat the actual plant so what's the difference with peas? Is there any science behind the idea that peas 'contain' bacteria? How come lettuce, carrots and any other veg don't 'contain bacteria'? I eat the shoots of my peas and have never heard of any contraindications. I can only find reference to certified organic pea shoot peas, which is a different topic, not certification for growing as shoots per se.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea shoots

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

elisa_Z5 & florauk- I think the issue is that some pea seeds are treated with a fungicide to prevent them from rotting in cold, wet ground. And if you are growing pea shoots, you want to be sure not to get fungicide treated seeds.

kalonkakon- I was thinking about this project and in the Spring your choices of seeds to plant will increase drastically. Nearly all veggies can be planted in Spring. You could even have the kids start warm season veggies like tomatoes, peppers, and beans and have them take them home to grow over Summer vacation.

Then there are things that you plant in the fall like garlic, shallots, and perenial onions (multiplier, egyptian, and bunching) that will overwinter and produce in the Spring and early Summer. Spinach should overwinter. There are overwintering varieties of broccoli. Even grains like winter wheat and rye overwinter and grow the grain heads in Spring or early Summer (I think these would be an interesting thing to grow with kids so they can learn how grains are made into breads and such).

Rodney

• florauk
    10 years ago

That's true Rodney. But if seeds are treated it will say so on the packet.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Egg cartons work good for seeds or yogurt containers with holes punched in the bottom.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    10 years ago

Fun idea, might want to try some indoor growing yourself now to fine tune your choices before you do this with students.

Fluorescent grow lights work best when you keep plants within an inch or two of the tubes. Increasing the distance will result in tall floppy plants that don't grow well. Put together a set up that lets you raise pots or adjust light height and consider the plants different heights if you decide to plant a variety of veggies. Strong light from windows can help some but usually isn't sufficient alone.

Soiless container mixes used in pots with drain holes will give good soil moisture and healthy plants. Larger containers will make it easier to maintain consistant moisture levels, especially over weekends.

Choose varieties that are naturally compact such as many of those recommended for container growing. Tiny Tim tomatoes and dwarf marigolds (not a veggie, I know) are two that could stay manageable and good looking inside. Compact buttercrunch type lettuces and herbs are also good.

I wish you well. I've enjoyed sharing the world of plants with many students. Many have no prior experience with them and most everyone loves the planting, growing, harvesting, eating, etc. And some even like weeding when we grow outdoors!