Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber and Zucchini Help

Posted by Bennett081713 Orlando (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 20:41

My cucumber and (recently) my zucchini plants have starting going downhill. They were doing so good, but have been turning yellow for the past month or so. I live in the orlando area. I know I got started planting a little bit late (My husband and I recently moved here and I got them in the ground as quickly as I could). Currently we are in hurricaine season, so we get a lot of rain. I have been fertilizing them about every 4 weeks. I also tried an epsom salt/magnesium bath that was suggested.

I did notice recently with the cucumbers that one vine is latching onto my green beans and growing upwards. That stalk seems to be doing great... maybe they need to be up, off the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber and Zucchini Help

Cucumber and zucchini plants tend to get diseased after a few weeks of production, no matter what you do. Both are susceptible to mildew, cucumbers will get bacterial wilt from cucumber beetles, zucchini can get attacked by vine borers. You can check the base of your zucchini plants for holes and an orange frass. Dig inside and you'll find the larvae.

I succession plant every 2-3 weeks and when the plants look bad i tear them out. You may want to try a fungicide on your plants, especially in the type of wet weather you're dealing with. Liquid copper or Serenade, or some have had luck with homemade fungicides made from baking soda or milk. It won't cure the disease, but will help protect any new growth.

If it's bacterial wilt, there's no cure for that. Infected vines will die. It's very common with cucumbers; one bite from a cucumber beetle is all it takes.

o
RE: Cucumber and Zucchini Help

In FL at this time of year there's also the dreaded pickleworm in addition to all the other problems. This just isn't the time of year for most of us to try these plants because of all the disease/insect problems, also production slows way down when the heat and humidity really kick in.

If you haven't seen it, the U of F's Agricultural department has an excellent guide to vegetable gardening in FL, including when best to plant:

Here is a link that might be useful: IFAS planting guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here