Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palenor

WTH is growing in my little garden?

Palenor
9 years ago

Ok, so not sure what to think of this..

Planted a cucumber plant in between two tomato plants.

All three are growing fantastic.

Tomato's have been harvested for the last 3 weeks or so.

I do not know what is growing on this so called cucumber plant of mine.

It kinda looks like a squash, but has the prikley things on it like a cucumber does.

Here is a picture, better than trying to describe it.

Comments (20)

• shermthewerm
    9 years ago

Lemon cucumber?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Looks like cucumbers that were left to get way too overmature. Do you know what variety of cuke you planted?

They could be lemon cukes.

Rodney

• ceth_k
    9 years ago

I would agree with theforgottenone1013 above. They are old cucumbers that passed their prime.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

My first thought was some kind of melon.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

It is a lemon cucumber. This from the web: "Yellow, round, the size of a generous fist. Yep, these cucumbers look like lemons (seriously, that is a picture of cucumbers, lemon cucumbers, not lemons). They are sweet, without that bitter edge that most cucumbers have, thin skins, minimal soft seeds, and flavorful. They are tasty raw and look positively lovely in salads, but they make delicious pickles too."

• Palenor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses, these have not been on the vine that long.
    They looked this way from the beginning as they sprouted.
    Started off green and quickly started increasing in girth more then length within a week of sprouting.

Gonna pick them and see how they are

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

I've grown lemon cucumbers and that's not what they looked like at all. MIne were yellow and small and looked like cucumbers.

Let us know what the insides are like!

Did you plant seeds or a nursery plant? I suppose it could be an accidental hybrid.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

The shape of leave can help to identify it.

Lemon cukes are more round and get yellow and not that big. Thre could be different varieties.

The size an color look like some Korean melons. Bu they don't grow fast. So the next possibility is some kind of squash. Squash have real big leaves. Cucumbers have more of heart shape leaves. Melons have smaller near round leaves.

• Palenor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have picked them, they do look like some of the other pictures I have seen for Lemon Cucumbers in other pictures,
    Size wise, the 3 I picked are shorter than a normal table fork, and almost as wide in girth as they are long.
    Here is a picture of them on the countertop

• Palenor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As far as the leaves are concerned here is a picture of them and the flowers that still are sprouting.

• Palenor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a close up of the flower

• Palenor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will be chomping down on them this weekend, will let you know how they are.......

• ceth_k
    9 years ago

please post the photo of its inside. I am curious.

• nattydoll
    9 years ago

If they are lemon cucumbers, they are delicious! They grow in New Orleans. I tried them fresh from someone's yard on a visit. So exotic and different, but a nice light flavor. It's like eating a cucumber that has already been seasoned/dressed. They are juicy inside.

Where did you get them?

• Palenor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We got them from someone in the neighborhood (Foxhill, VA) that was selling various plants early in the spring. It was just a little seedling when we got it.

I will be sure to take pictures of them when I cut them open on Saturday.

I actually can't wait :)

• Palenor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm not sure what happened,, I know I posted a few follow-ups on this but now I do not see them.

Here is what they looked like inside when I cut them open.

They were very delicious, not bitter at all. The seeds even though they are quite large are soft to eat. The cucumber has a slight salty taste to it, crisp in texture and nice and crunchy.
    Tried one with the skin on, will peel them from now on....

This post was edited by Palenor on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:10

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Probably if you pick them younger from now on, the skin will be more tender and the seeds smaller.

• ceth_k
    9 years ago

yup, looked like old cucumbers alright.

• thekingjp
    9 years ago

Gotta be lemon cukes based off of the description you've given me regarding the taste and the shape of the leaves. I've never grown them but I've grown cucumber many times so I know their leaves.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Nice thriving plant you've got.