Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WTH is growing in my little garden?

Posted by Palenor Virginia (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 20:49

Ok, so not sure what to think of this..

Planted a cucumber plant in between two tomato plants.

All three are growing fantastic.

Tomato's have been harvested for the last 3 weeks or so.

I do not know what is growing on this so called cucumber plant of mine.

It kinda looks like a squash, but has the prikley things on it like a cucumber does.

Here is a picture, better than trying to describe it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WTH is growing in my little garden?

Lemon cucumber?

o

Looks like cucumbers that were left to get way too overmature. Do you know what variety of cuke you planted?

They could be lemon cukes.

Rodney

o

I would agree with theforgottenone1013 above. They are old cucumbers that passed their prime.

o

My first thought was some kind of melon.

o

It is a lemon cucumber. This from the web: "Yellow, round, the size of a generous fist. Yep, these cucumbers look like lemons (seriously, that is a picture of cucumbers, lemon cucumbers, not lemons). They are sweet, without that bitter edge that most cucumbers have, thin skins, minimal soft seeds, and flavorful. They are tasty raw and look positively lovely in salads, but they make delicious pickles too."

o

Thanks for the responses, these have not been on the vine that long.
They looked this way from the beginning as they sprouted.
Started off green and quickly started increasing in girth more then length within a week of sprouting.

Gonna pick them and see how they are

o

I've grown lemon cucumbers and that's not what they looked like at all. MIne were yellow and small and looked like cucumbers.

Let us know what the insides are like!

Did you plant seeds or a nursery plant? I suppose it could be an accidental hybrid.

o

The shape of leave can help to identify it.

Lemon cukes are more round and get yellow and not that big. Thre could be different varieties.

The size an color look like some Korean melons. Bu they don't grow fast. So the next possibility is some kind of squash. Squash have real big leaves. Cucumbers have more of heart shape leaves. Melons have smaller near round leaves.

o

I have picked them, they do look like some of the other pictures I have seen for Lemon Cucumbers in other pictures,
Size wise, the 3 I picked are shorter than a normal table fork, and almost as wide in girth as they are long.
Here is a picture of them on the countertop

o

As far as the leaves are concerned here is a picture of them and the flowers that still are sprouting.

o

And a close up of the flower

o

Will be chomping down on them this weekend, will let you know how they are.......

o

please post the photo of its inside. I am curious.

o

If they are lemon cucumbers, they are delicious! They grow in New Orleans. I tried them fresh from someone's yard on a visit. So exotic and different, but a nice light flavor. It's like eating a cucumber that has already been seasoned/dressed. They are juicy inside.

Where did you get them?

o

We got them from someone in the neighborhood (Foxhill, VA) that was selling various plants early in the spring. It was just a little seedling when we got it.

I will be sure to take pictures of them when I cut them open on Saturday.

I actually can't wait :)

o

Hmm not sure what happened,, I know I posted a few follow-ups on this but now I do not see them.

Here is what they looked like inside when I cut them open.

They were very delicious, not bitter at all. The seeds even though they are quite large are soft to eat. The cucumber has a slight salty taste to it, crisp in texture and nice and crunchy.
Tried one with the skin on, will peel them from now on....

This post was edited by Palenor on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:10

o

Probably if you pick them younger from now on, the skin will be more tender and the seeds smaller.

o

yup, looked like old cucumbers alright.

o

Gotta be lemon cukes based off of the description you've given me regarding the taste and the shape of the leaves. I've never grown them but I've grown cucumber many times so I know their leaves.

o

Nice thriving plant you've got.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here