Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Pumpkin Plants

Posted by l1oness 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 20:51

It's been very hot here the last week (approx 100 degrees daily), and humid. The last couple of days my pumpkin plant has been looking rough, and many leaves are yellowing, and those are wilted with brown edges. What could be going on?

I don't see any frass near the stem and I don't see any powerdy stuff, but it appears to be also impacting one of it's neighbors - a zucchini plant. I cut off all of the yellow and disposed of it, but do I have to get rid of the plant? Could my spray (its a sulfur based spray) be hurting it instead of preventing diseases?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Pumpkin Plants

How much of the plant is affected? If it is only a few leaves, then I would not worry much. Keep checking for SVB entry points to be sure though, look all over the stems, not just at the base, they can make their way in anywhere, and a dying leaf could signal their entry... Also, unless you are having problems, I would discontinue the sulphur spray.

Encouraging your pumpkin to take root at a few point along the vine can help with overall growth as well, and can save the plant if it is attacked by SVBs... Just cover a few sections at leaf nodes with soil and keep those areas moist... They will take root in a week or two...just don't encourage it to root too close to where a fruit may set, so the vine can still flex as the fruit enlarges.

Have you fertilized at all they may just be in need of some nutrients, pumpkins and squash are pretty heavy feeders...

o

I took off about 6 of the leaves today, so I was a little concerned. I'll try the rooting of the stem thing, and fertilize a bit - maybe that's all it needs. It was quite a bit off the one vine - and almost all near the main root.

I found SVB eggs and removed them a couple of weeks ago, hence I started the treatment - but I'll keep watching for them.

Thank you for any help.

o

Good luck, you may want to place a small stake or something at the areas on the vine you root, so you don't forget where to water later on as the season progresses.

I would check back to your post too as others might chime in with different ideas about what might be happening.

o

It's been very hot.

Keeping up with the water needs of huge-leaved plants -- others, too -- can be a challenge. Perhaps you should rig temporary shade well above the plants.

o

That might be part of it - I came home this afternoon and the pumpkins were very wilted. They seem to be recovering now that it's cooling down out. Tomorrow should be close to 20 degrees cooler. I'll try the shade method to see if that helps.

Thank you both!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here