Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify these bugs

Posted by ange2006 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 21:04

My garden is being invaded by these little 1/4 inch flying (?) bugs. Look what happened to my amaranth! After eating all my amaranth leaves, they have mostly disappeared. I saw that some of them were already mating. Would like to know what they are and how to deal with them when/if they come back. Thank you very much in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify these bugs

Looks like japanese beetles. They have been eating holes in everything here for weeks now. I throw them in a cup of water.

o

I don't know who they are but the flick into soap water always works if the critters move slow enough for you to do so.

o

I don't know what they are either but they aren't Japanese beetles. Although the damage they are doing is just as bad as JB's.

Rodney

o

If you are in the west it might be pigweed flea beetle. Obscure for sure!

Here is a link that might be useful: pigweed flea beetle

o

I just saw these yesterday in a field - not in my garden -- and have never seen them before.

Definitely hand pick. If they move fast or have a habit of dropping, like JB's do, I use a plastic container w/ soapy water, put the container under them and the lid on top and knock them in.

o

A spray of insecticidal soap will also work, better if the beetles don't cooperate

o

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm pretty sure they are pigweed flea beetles because they jump like fleas. They're fast and difficult to hand pick. Spraying will be easier. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here