Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Heat wave in CA! Tomato ?

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

I think it started last Wed or Thursday! Over 90* for a couple of days, then (the paper said 102*, but my car said 105-108*!). Back to the mid 90s, the last couple of days and finally down to the high 80s!
Our heat waves usually last 2-3 days, then the fog comes back in to cool us down to the mid 80s!
Plus, we had a freak storm last week which made everything very muggy (as in back east muggy!)
We watered heavily and took off for our summer cabin where it is 10-15* cooler than our place!
Got back and the tomatoes were at least 6" taller!
I've heard that tomatoes don't set fruit when it's over 95*!
I've already got the problem of my DH over fertilizing the tomato bed by accident.
I've got a bunch of tomatoes starting (yay!), and a new bunch of flowers (again yay), but will they come to fruit with this high heat we are having?
I know, some of you Southern and Eastern people are rolling your eyes to the point of falling over, but I'm so used to our Western dry, Mediteranian type summer! I'm from the "Real wine country" Sonoma County!
Happy 4th everyone! Nancy

Comments (6)

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

I'm in Sacramento and it was 110 yesterday!
    My veggies are roasting!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Mulch, Mulch, Mulch!

We've had the heat down here too. But my plants are doing just fine. Soil temp is just as important as ambient temp. As long as it's cooling down at night(low 70's) and your soil stays regulated(mulch), most summer veggies will keep on truckin'.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I second: MULCH MULCH MULCH.
    Mulch does more than one good. In your case it will keep plans roots cooler under hot air and direct sun. It would also slow down drying up .

Water at night with cool water. It will help to cool of the roots. Most plants shut down , not just because of hot air but also warm soil.

The problem can be agrevated by MANY hours of direct sun. In such cases less sun and some shade is advantageous.

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

I just threw down another layer of straw mulch.

I don't know how I can add more shade to my plants. I've noticed my cucumber leaves really wilt and get floppy/soft in the heat and direct sun. They seem to perk back up when temps cool at night.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I've noticed my cucumber leaves really wilt and get floppy/soft in the heat and direct sun. They seem to perk back up when temps cool at night.
    ----------------------------------------------------

They will get adapted in a few days. make sure they are watered more often than normal.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I'll construct some sheet tents today. Seems to be cooling for a couple of days til the next onslaught! Plus I'll get a bale of straw for mulch. Thanks! Nancy