Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Long Before Bell Peppers Turn Yellow/Red

Posted by jayafink none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 21:12

I planted red and yellow bell peppers. The plants have several full size green peppers on them but they have been green for three weeks now. How long does it take before they turn red and yellow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Long Before Bell Peppers Turn Yellow/Red

Varies with the variety and of course the weather is a contributing factor too. But as a very general rule they run in 6 week cycles so you have some time to go. Takes patience and careful care as they can easily get sun scorch or pest damage while waiting for them to turn.

Dave

PS: I assume you know that leaving the green ones on the plant to get the colored ones means less production over all because the plant shuts down? It's a good idea to pick a few of them as greens to keep it in production.

o
RE: How Long Before Bell Peppers Turn Yellow/Red

If it has been a very hot July where you live, peppers don't ripen much this time of year in the "Midwest". Peppers should color up better when the nights get cooler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here