Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fava Beans in Zone 6 (Connecticut) ?

Posted by spinonitaliani 6 (jl.macneill@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 21:14

Hi everyone,

I have some fava seed left over this year and I was wondering what other gardeners in Zone 6 (especially in Connecticut) do with them? It is customary to plant them in very early spring around when the peas go in. But I was wondering if anyone had experience with them in the fall? Has anyone been able to overwinter them and when should they be started? Thanks everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fava Beans in Zone 6 (Connecticut) ?

I have only planted favas in zone 9 so I can't directly help with timing, but I want to make sure that you and responders are aware of the possible approach of using fava beans as a cover crop. The point is to fertilize the soil. I assume you would plant them soon in free garden areas and let them grow until they freeze. Assuming they went to seed, the object would be to collect them for next year's plants and not to eat them which can be a problem for some people anyway.

o

Hi spinon
I am in upstate NY, I have planted fava beans in early spring and harvest them by the end of June or early July. Some people plant them in october and again in June so to have the beans twice in one year. I have never planted them in October, but I am gooing to try this year. We like the fava beans alot and if I can have them twice in one year I'll be very happy. It is important the the soil is slightly sloped and well drained otherwise the seeds will rut.

o

Our local demonstration garden one year tried to plant it in the fall for a very early spring harvest. We are in zone 7 and the beans sprouted just fine but didn't make it through the winter. I am tempted to say that zone 6 might be pushing it but if you don't have anything to lose you should try a few anyways. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here