Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppers, when to pick?

Posted by perrynewbegining Maryland (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 21:29

We planted Green, Red, Yellow, Mexibell, Cajun, and Fahitta peppers. How long do you wait to pick? Is there a length of time you should wait before picking? Are they supposed to change colors before picking? I'm asking because our peppers have been a really nice size and looking beautiful, so I am concerned about it roughting before it's picked. So how do you know when to pick them?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppers, when to pick?

Once a pepper starts to show it's color (aka, "breaking color") you can cut it and let it continue to ripen to color over a few days. It's not useful to add any type of ripening trick on peppers because they aren't very ethylene receptive...just leave them on a counter. You can put them in them in the fridge at any time and they'll keep for a week or two (usually closer to 2...even longer if you don't mind the peppers soft).

o

Pick as they become the desired color, same for tomatoes. If you arne't sure, google the tomato and get a good look at "ripe" and even google "over ripe" for the tomato variety. The first year I grew black tomatoes we had a few very overripe guys...I kept thinking the shoulders should be growing darker purple instead of darker green....!

o

• Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 21:59

I am not an expert (by any means) I am NOT Dr. Pepper!!!

However...the technique that has worked for me is that a pepper is ready to harvest when its' stem becomes easily detached from the branch that it is growing on. To test this...take a pepper you know IS NOT ripe and gently pull up on it. It will stay attached to the plant. Now try one you think might be ripe. If it is, it will quickly detach, if not leave it on for a while and come back and test it again.

I hope that this helps!

o

I do what lonmower does. With some peppers I wait for the color change, but I use a lot of them in the green stage also and I pick them when they easily break from the vine.

o

• Posted by branik USDA 5b/6 SS 35/41 A (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 13:27

I also pick them when they easily detach from the plant.

o

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. That's why I love coming to this site, and don't mind asking the questions. Because everybody loves gardening and learning as much as we do and are more than happy to share their experiences.

Thanks,
R. Perry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here