Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

need help with sand! what type to use?

The current soil mix I use is a combination of pine bark mulch, coarse vermiculite, lime and Oscomcote (pelleted fertilizer). It's used for container gardening; some stuff loves it (any leafy green thing, oregano, lemon balm, and cabbage).

However it dries out too fast for stuff that sets fruit (tomatoes, peppers,cukes, zukes).

I'm trying to find a new soil mix that is more loose. The ones I've tried retain moisture too well, and are too muddy; they basically retain too much moisture.

THe new soil mix I have calls for sand. The sand is part of a soil mix that would be used for container gardening; it calls for topsoil, spaghnum peat, sand and lime. I have coarse vermiculite, which I'll add as/if needed. Both normal and coarse sand are available where I live. Which is the best one to use?

The normal sand when dry has a moist texture to it when dry. Would this type of sand not be suitable for a container gardening soil mix?

I honestly don't know what type of sand to use in the mix as I've never used sand as an ingredient in a soil less mix; I'm just using sand because it's one of the components the soil mix calls for. Just to clarify I'm referring to new soil mix I'm trying not the pine bark mulch based one I've been using.

Comments (2)